Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    O
    I'm not sure of the age for this story. I remember listening to the monitor at bedtime and my son would says lots of words. It was so cute as if he was studying some words.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I'm not sure of the age for this story. I remember listening to the monitor at bedtime and my son would says lots of words. It was so cute as if he was studying some words.

That really sounds like what DD is doing. Did he do that for words before he said them out loud to you? Now that I think back DD has done this since she first started talking. I wonder if she is trying to get them right before she says them? The funny thing is, is that she babbles about nonsense all the time but it seems like she does the whispering more for real words or new sounds.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by newmom21C [/quote
    That really sounds like what DD is doing. Did he do that for words before he said them out loud to you? Now that I think back DD has done this since she first started talking. I wonder if she is trying to get them right before she says them? The funny thing is, is that she babbles about nonsense all the time but it seems like she does the whispering more for real words or new sounds.

I think these were words he used commonly thru the day. He just did a review at night sometimes which now make me thik he was studying. My DS9 now studies all the time. Ex. maked paper airplanes one after the other reengineering

It's fun to think about this again

M
    M
    I'm new here (Hi!), but we just had our 9yo Dd tested with an OT recently. During the memory portion of the test, she mouthed the letters she was to remember (short term memory).

I think it's a kinesthetic memory technique. Dd is very verbal and, while I don't recall seeing her do this in other circumstances, I'm guessing she did. She also *never* talked under her breath - ALWAYS out loud! LOL!

I do something similar with music - my hands remember it much better than my brain. And, when remembering/reciting things, my mouth will remember the words to form even when my braing isn't "engaged" in the recall. In fact, if I stop to think about the words, I can't bring them to mind!

HTH!

~ Mingo

~ Mingo and 9yo dd
    I
    I
    This is called Palilalia, and was frequently depicted by the character Brick Heck in the TV series The Middle.

Information is provided by PubMedCentral (PMC), National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), US National Library of Medicine (NLM), National Institutes of Health (NIH):
    Palilalia is the delayed repetition of words or phrases and is emitted by individuals with autism and other developmental disabilities. Behavioral research suggests that antecedent conditions can be manipulated to decrease the occurrence of palilalia and that it can be replaced with appropriate responses. Consequently, a variety of interventions designed to train appropriate responses have been investigated including scripts, mand training, and rule-governed or self-monitoring tactics.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM