Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #243005 06/08/18 05:04 AM
    OP Offline
    Hello, my 7 year old boy is gifted and struggles to do anything that isn't Minecraft. He has a ton of Legos, and Playmobil toys. He's expressed an interest in engineering, physics, coding, etc. We are trying to find toys that teach these concepts. Much of what is out there seems geared toward younger kids, or toward high-school age and we've yet to find something in between. Just wondering what you guys might recommend. Also looking for general toy ideas if you guys have something unique you've come across. Regular toys and board games don't interest him, so he's difficult to shop for.

T
    T
    I am sorry to say this, but the toy stage is probably over for him. Once you can build anything in Minecraft, Lego just seems tedious, don't you think? Although I do feel physically putting something together is very satisfying but Minecraft can do so much more. Even some of the robot toys that are very expensive doesn't really hold someone's interests for too long. They simply don't do as much as an app would do. If he wants to learn coding, he will have to code and no toys can really teach that.

I think board games may still be your best bets if you want him to be off the screen. The games need to be engaging and you also at least several kids and adults. My son was with a social skill group for a while and they use board games as the setting for social interactions. He loved that group.

Last edited by Thomas Percy; 06/08/18 07:30 AM.
    N
    N
    My 6 year old enjoyed Snap Circuits for a little while. It is pretty basic, but would fall in the age range and topics that you are looking for.

E
    E
    We have the same issue with my DS. He had his 5th birthday party in April and he has not even bothered to get any of the toys he was given out of their packaging (next year we will be doing a "no gifts" party!). The thing he really loves is chess - have you introduced that? Other possibilities are some of the single-player games from ThinkFun (his favorite is Rush Hour), or puzzle/logic magazines/books. That's all we're having success with right now (and by success, I mean he'll do these things once in a while if he can't play chess for some reason).

S
    S
    Take minecraft away for a month or two and he'll find something else to do. The younger age toys are still engaging, when you take the high stimulation stuff out of the environment. Get some LEGO Technic sets and someday he can upgrade to LEGO Mindstorm (robotics) kits. Any building toy is fine, really, those just are likely to hold his attention longer. If you get Mindstorm, prepare to lay out a lot of money. The basic kit barely does anything, and the amount of coding that can be done without more sensors and parts is limited.

Scratch, Tynker, and Hour of Code are great online sources for coding. He may like Minecraft coding classes if you are not willing to follow my advice above about removing Minecraft so he can expand his range of interests.

He might have patience to watch Great Courses and they have great Physics courses. They're expensive, so look for them at your library until you're confident he is ready for them.

How much of his Minecraft interest is social? Is that what his friend group is into? Perhaps expanding his horizons needs to include interests his friends value. My son's peers were interested in Minecraft until about 4th grade when it started transitioning to Harry Potter and in 6th grade Harry Potter is still cool, but Lord of the Rings, Rick Riordian books, and Star Wars are the next things. Be aware of what his friends (or non-friend peers) are interested in when guiding him to shift his hobbies - he might have a lot of identity and social currency going on with Minecraft.

Woodworking and soldering are good basic skills for young builders. If need help finding age-appropriate woodworking instruction, 4H has a woodworking series. You do not have to be a member of 4H to buy their curriculum. The booklets are usually <$5 in their online store. If he's into electronics, the "Make: ___ " series of instructional books is good. A breadboard will allow a person to make circuits without soldering. The "Make: ___ " series has shopping/supply lists inside.

Summer is a good time for exploring new things away from social circles. Try not to limit the options you give him based on preconceived ideas of what he "should" like. Sometimes they surprise us! My son would never admit it to his friends, but his newest hobby is embroidery. Origami is another hands-on creative construction with plenty mathematical background to it - and google Minecraft origami if he needs a bit of motivation to try. When he exhausts the children's origami books, there is a textbook of how to make one's own designs - very cool!

There are tons of fun things to do, but it's unlikely he will be willing to try an low-stimulation activity when he has Minecraft (high stimulation) available. If Minecraft goes on a summer vacation, you may be more encouraged by his interests in other activities. Unstructured time and boredom is good for children and develops their creative thinking and problems solving.

Disclaimer: I am strongly biased towards no or select few toys, no TV, no videogames, restricted/supervised computer - not for the purpose of being restrictive, but to give the gift of a whole new way of thinking, problem solving, and creating.

C
    C
    Our boys have really enjoyed Pokémon cards. Sometimes by themselves, sometimes with each other and sometimes with friends/schoolmates. The interest does come and go, as with most things with our kids, but they've lasted as an interest for as long as 11 years old so far.

E
    E
    Codemaster is a fun solo programming game that he might enjoy. Do you limit his screen time? We found that our kids were more willing to do stuff like this if they had limits on the amount of time they could spend on Minecraft.

E
    E
    Not a toy suggestion, but one more thing that my son really enjoys now is cooking. He's willing to be involved in many cooking projects, but what has really helped us make it a more regular part of our routine is a Raddish Kids subscription. He gets excited to open the kit each month, read the recipes, make the shopping list, and learn to use a new tool.

J
    J
    My 12-year-old and his 10yo brother (they're both Minecraft fans, the younger one likes coding) both still play a lot with their "inventor center", which is a large bin full of assorted junk like boxes, paper towel tubes, 2-liter bottles, string, duck tape, bouncy balls, binder clips, etc. They've made games, buildings for toys, forts, vehicles, weapons, helmets and other armor, Rube Goldberg machines, a rope ladder, balls, etc. It's very messy but I think it kind of scratches the same itch for them that Minecraft does. They're very proud of what they make.

All of the little coding fans I've known have liked strategy games, like Machi Koro, Dominion, Carcasonne, etc. In Roborally you have to "program" your little robot. If he doesn't like to compete, there are cooperative games like Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Castle Panic.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by jckdw
    My 12-year-old and his 10yo brother (they're both Minecraft fans, the younger one likes coding) both still play a lot with their "inventor center", which is a large bin full of assorted junk like boxes, paper towel tubes, 2-liter bottles, string, duck tape, bouncy balls, binder clips, etc. They've made games, buildings for toys, forts, vehicles, weapons, helmets and other armor, Rube Goldberg machines, a rope ladder, balls, etc. It's very messy but I think it kind of scratches the same itch for them that Minecraft does. They're very proud of what they make.
    Do their creations stay around your house for days or weeks? Our problem with stuff like this is that the kids never want to take it apart again to make something else.

Originally Posted by jckdw
    All of the little coding fans I've known have liked strategy games, like Machi Koro, Dominion, Carcasonne, etc. In Roborally you have to "program" your little robot. If he doesn't like to compete, there are cooperative games like Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Castle Panic.

Not as easy to find in stores, but everyone in our family enjoys Ricochet Robots, and now its little sister, Micro Robots. It's competitive but extremely quiet - you will see a bunch of people intently studying a board, and then someone will exclaim, "Seven!" and turn over a timer while everyone redoubles their efforts. smile

We just acquired Dice Forge, and I also expect that to be a hit once I get the family to play it. smile It's like a toy and a game in one - the dice are very satisfying to take apart and put together. Just be prepared to keep track of many little pieces. (It has an excellent insert that helps with that.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM