Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Our district has similar philosophies. I would be very careful, personally. If your kid can tolerate repeating the same class during the school year, which may be a possible outcome, then I see no downside. But I would consider it a possibility when deciding- I have seen it happen (though sometimes kids do this by choice to boost their GPA, but that’s a different story...). Our school had a pretty strict policy of not accepting outside coursework, and they refused to allow testing out. However, this seems to have been relaxed over the past couple years- depending on how one goes about it. If you can, and haven’t yet, I would speak with the math Dept head at the high school, or with the teacher who teaches the class he would enter after completing the summer class. They seemed to have much more reasonable ideas than the administrative people, who draw a line in the sand and seemed unwilling to consider any flexibility in interpretation. Another helpful thing is to track down a kid who has done it successfully and figure out who they approached and how. In districts like ours, this info can be hard to come by and people are not open about it, primarily because it’s against the written policies. But it does happen.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks to everyone who replied. An alternative to his taking precalculus would be to study algebra in more depth using an AOPS course such Introduction to Algebra B or Intermediate Algebra or to take one of their courses on combinatorics or number theory.

M
    M
    Does your son participate in any math competitions or in a math circle, mathcounts, AMCs etc..? Does he have any desire to qualify for AIME.

AoPS number theory is a great course, as well as their AMC 10 and 12 classes.
    The Problem Solving Series Vol. 1 and 2 are good books. He will recognize some type of problems and scratch his head on some.

If my son had to repeat a math course he would be a bear to get along with. Combine that with the reality he has some teacher coming up that are at best uninspiring.

We are in a similar boat with our daughter now 13 and about to complete 8th grade. The decision that we took was to basically ignore the B&M school stuff and concentrate on 'acceleration' aka moving at her pace using AoPS outside of school.

She also did the AoPS beginners Python class, Number theory and Combinatorics in addition to the standard (Pre-Alg, Alg I, Alg II) sequence to keep her stimulated and broaden the scope of her Maths education (and to slow her down).

She has finished the AoPS Algebra II class and is a good way through their Pre-Calculus (almost halfway). We will pause that class and resume it in the Autumn so she can enjoy her time at CTY unfettered.

She will take the High School Algebra II & Trig exams tomorrow and Friday AMs. Our aim is to have her attempt to resume B&M school maths with Pre-Calculus in her freshman year.

My wife and I feel that it is better to keep our daughter stimulated and learning how to learn than to have her stagnating doing the same thing over and over again for weeks in the regular classroom.

If your son is keen to do it then why not?

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/06/18 06:12 PM.

Become what you are
    Q
    Q
    My tentative recommendation would be no, partly because I am not confident that RSM is particularly rigorous/deep and the fact that your DS is going into 8th with AP Calculus as the "next" course in the sequence. In our area, only high schoolers can get credit for AP Calculus. Of course, it doesn't mean you can't "take" the course, just that you can't get credited on your high school transcript. That is partly why I am glad that we held DS back so that he didn't take AP Calculus until 9th grade. Instead he studied number theory and combinatorics and lots of competition math. There is also the issue that there is nothing special/necessary about Precalculus - it covers (perhaps deeper) topics from Algebra 2 and Geo/Trig courses. I think if your DS wants to stay with the traditional course sequence, he would be better off taking AoPS Geometry and/or Intermediate Algebra (the third Algebra course). DS cruised through his school's PreCalculus and AP Calculus AB courses but found AoPS Intermediate Algebra challenging. It makes sense to follow with AoPS and DS did not mind "repeating" in that way; however, I think he would have probably pulled his hair out if he had to repeat the school's courses after studying it in a more rigorous outside setting. If your DS has any interest, he should consider the combinatorics and number theory courses - there is a beginning and an advance one available through AoPS. DS is taking the advanced combinatorics course but he self-studied the beginning one a few years ago. Of course, there are also competition math and corresponding courses through AoPS and other providers as well.

J
    J
    I'm contemplating having my son take an AoPS course at a new campus that is opening up around here, but I'm a little nervous that their courses are supposed to last a whole school year. I can't imagine it would take my son a *whole year* to learn a year of math. The online courses are a lot shorter. Does anyone have experience with the in-person classes? Is it worth all the extra money and time?

G
    G
    DD13 is not a fan of math, or we would go back to AoPS. We tried to get our school to allow DD13 to take the high school Biology class over the summer so she could take the AP Biology this Fall. The school came up with all kinds of reasons for her not to take it then finally stated there was no room for her in the AP class. They recommended that maybe she could take a coding class for fun over the summer, which we are going to do, but DD is feeling defeated (as am I). She wanted to hurry through her basics because they are so boring. DD14 does like math, and she decided to do a math class over the summer for fun.

A
    A
    +1 madeinuk

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    .The public schools will likely not deviate from the Algebra II/Geometry/Pre-calculus/Calculus sequence in grades 8-11.

Have they told you this or is it an assumption? I’d certainly find out for sure before making a decision.

My DD13 is 2 grades advanced and still getting 100% on everything. But rather than even more acceleration, we decided on enrichment. She’s taken Number Theory, Game Theory, Combinatorics, etc. through AoPS, CTY, and others. We also found a local ARML team where she’s covering advanced topics with college grad student teachers, and alongside a member of the US math olympic team. Building a broader base and skill set, rather than running through the curriculum, is preferable, IMHO.

Search for an article titled “The Calculs Trap”, which explains this approach very well.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Cranberry
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    .The public schools will likely not deviate from the Algebra II/Geometry/Pre-calculus/Calculus sequence in grades 8-11.

Have they told you this or is it an assumption? I’d certainly find out for sure before making a decision.

It's based on experiences with my older son. He has been more mathematically precocious than his younger brother, and he is taking precalculus in 10th grade and scheduled to take calculus in 11th grade next year. He has taken calculus at RSM this year and took the AP Calculus BC exam. If he finds out this summer that he got a 5 on the BC Calculus exam, they will move him to online classes in differential equations, multivariable calculus, or linear algebra. So I guess acceleration is possible based on a standardized test score.

When I was in junior high school I took math classes at the high school during first period as part of the gifted program. Few Massachusetts public schools have gifted programs, and block scheduling means that it is impossible to take one class at the high school and the other classes at the middle school, since one school could have a 6-day schedule and the other school a 7-day schedule.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM