Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    I just received an email from CTY that the issue of the Imagine magazine we just received will be the last. The commitment to send out awards to recipients from last year's Talent Search, despite the ceremonies being cancelled, never happened, as far as I know.

I don't know whether it's in trouble of just poorly run, but I'm greatly disappointed.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    I think a lot of the people think the CTY award ceremony as silly. I know we were not interested in going even if it is offered this year. This may explain why going forward there may be less of them?

Who exactly are "the people" that think it's "silly"? Those who look down on awarding academic achievement and would prefer to go to a football game?

About 1,000 kids were there last year (and 2,000 at Duke TIP), so apparently a lot of folks don't find it silly.

(fewer)

Last edited by Cranberry; 05/01/18 07:35 PM.
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by Cranberry
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    I think a lot of the people think the CTY award ceremony as silly. I know we were not interested in going even if it is offered this year. This may explain why going forward there may be less of them?

Who exactly are "the people" that think it's "silly"? Those who look down on awarding academic achievement and would prefer to go to a football game?

About 1,000 kids were there last year (and 2,000 at Duke TIP), so apparently a lot of folks don't find it silly.

(fewer)

Sorry I missed this post.

People around me who have kids qualified for the award and didn't go to the ceremony. A few of them may be football fans but I would not know that, and most of them have Ph.Ds so I assume that they value academic achievement as much as I do.

CTY did send DS his pin despite cancelling the award ceremony. But we had already decided we weren't going to go even if the ceremony took place.

I simply don't know I would consider the CTY honors an academic achievement. A 2nd grader spent half an hour taking a test doesn't seem like something needed to be rewarded. I may feel differently for those who qualified in an older grade with SAT 700 at age 12 or something.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM