Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Advice/insight needed: My son is entering his second year (7th grade) at middle school. He was in accelerated math in elementary and he is in honors math in middle school. The school did not have "honors science" in 6th grade but they do provide the option for 7th and my son qualifies. The teacher said he can choose to do it or not and that not doing honors science in 7th will not hurt his chances of doing honors science in 8th grade or 9th or AP in high school. Of course, they (the school/teachers) always seem nervous about my son doing higher level classes due to his disability (dyspraxia and dysgraphia), which is why they presented it to us as our choice instead of a "recommendation that he take the honors science course." Give me advice - Should he do it? Why or why not? thanks!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Give me advice - Should he do it? Why or why not? thanks!
    My initial thought is: Yes, Go for it.

My reasons:
    1) Your son will likely learn whether his disabilities present any difficulties for this 7th grade class, providing the opportunity to prepare to get IEP/504 in place proactively before classes in higher grades (8th, 9th, AP) which may move at a quicker pace.
    2) For continuing growth and development, kids need both appropriate academic challenge and true peers. For typical kids, these needs may be met in a general ed classroom, however for children with higher IQ/giftedness, these needs may not be met without intentional effort in providing advanced curriculum, and grouping for instruction with academic/intellectual peers.

That said, these questions of "fit" come to mind:
    - What is your child's level of interest in science?
    - Have you and your child compared the syllabi of the two classes, taken note of differences, and discussed them?
    - Is your child already grouped with academic/intellectual peers in other classes? (Or does he far surpass most kids in the gifted program?)
    - Is he friends with his classmates outside of school?
    - Is this class likely to consist of the same kids?

While guiding a middle-schooler to consider factors such as those listed above, ultimately it is the child who must decide how much to weigh each factor, and anticipate how much effort they want to invest on a daily basis, especially if a class may become difficult for any reason (academics, organization or EF skills, social turbulence, etc). Kids at this age begin to develop internal locus of control.

A
    A
    What is the difference between honors science and non-honors? What impact would dyslexia and dysgraphia have on those differences, and can the differences be accomodated?

I have a hard time imaginging why it would be better to enroll him in the non-honors class. Unless the school refuses to accomodate his disabilities or he flat-out dislikes science.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks all. There is no reason why his accommodations can't continue in the honors class. I also like the idea of providing the opportunity to prepare to get IEP/504 in place proactively before classes in higher grades (8th, 9th, AP) which may move at a quicker pace. He's going to go for it. Thanks.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM