Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by echofuzz
    the district also doesn't offer any parent resources on G&T in general, aside from a few website links. i want other parents to have an easy way to find local and global G&T resources without having to scour the internet.
    Be sure to mention that parents can join this free, anonymous Davidson Gifted Issues Discussion Forum! smile

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Be sure to mention that parents can join this free, anonymous Davidson Gifted Issues Discussion Forum! smile

of course!! smile

E
    OP Offline
    E
    it looks like i'm actually starting this parent's group. i have to say, i'm dreading it. i hate -really, am borderline phobic of- public speaking. i'm not very organized. and i have a lot of doubts about how much it can accomplish. and i really don't have the time or energy.

but.

i'm doing it anyway.

i set up an email address and a facebook page. i shared about the group at two HSA meetings, and the HSA for my son's school is "hosting" the first meeting.

i talked to the district about it. (they said they were supportive, but then asked that there be no mention of them on the page/flyer/etc.) they're distributing a flyer district-wide, so that's something.

so. i guess this is happening. unless i chicken out at the last minute. which i (probably) won't do.

thank you all for the encouragement and support, even if it does feels like an exercise is masochism... and the group hasn't even started yet. lol but seriously. i wouldn't have moved forward if it weren't for y'all.

and i'm sure i'll be back with more questions and the like. smile

P
    P
    So many parents are going to be so grateful to you for making this happen, they really will. You are doing an amazing thing!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I am proud of you. Really! You are doing what your family and a lot of other families need--stepping up, even when it's hard, because you care.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Sounds like a great start! As PP have mentioned, you're doing an amazing thing that will help a lot of families.

I'd be happy to share our slides from past presentations if you're looking for some ideas to help get you started. I've been doing this for about 5 years now and can blab about gifted stuff for hours now but I still prefer to have material that I can lean on and keep me focused (of course everyone is different so feel free to do whatever you feel most comfortable doing).

Good luck!

E
    OP Offline
    E
    thank you, everyone. smile

i vacillate between:

"you know... i can actually make this a lot better and maybe even FIX it eventually!"
    and
    "what. the. heck. you know this isn't going to fix anything, right?"

i know it'll likely fall somewhere in between, and i definitely feel like i'm getting in over my head, but i also feel like i can affect some level of change.

time to buy a cape and go crusading!
    ei

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by chay
    Sounds like a great start! As PP have mentioned, you're doing an amazing thing that will help a lot of families.

I'd be happy to share our slides from past presentations if you're looking for some ideas to help get you started. I've been doing this for about 5 years now and can blab about gifted stuff for hours now but I still prefer to have material that I can lean on and keep me focused (of course everyone is different so feel free to do whatever you feel most comfortable doing).

Good luck!

chay, i'll be pming you shortly. thank you! smile

A
    A
    Good for you, echofuzz! A friend and I recently--like in March--started a group in our district. We have not made any change yet, though we did have a couple nice meetings where like-minded people got the chance to gripe to a sympathetic audience. And I feel like that alone is worthwhile, because parents need support, too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM