Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    One of the most important things I've learned from this forum: if it makes your kid quirky but otherwise happy and functional, by all means call it an OE. If it's stopping your child from being the person they want to be, or accomplishing the things they want to accomplish, find help to remove this barrier to your child's well being. Don't worry about the label. For instance, whether or not your child officially has SPD, an SPD expert can help figure out how to deal with noise sensitivities.

"OEs" are a really fuzzy concept. So is the line between OE and SPD or ADHD or OCD, etc, all of which exist on a spectrum. What I've learned from this forum is just deal with the presenting problem. If your child is struggling, and it's happening in most environments, then a gifted program may provide a better environment in which to deal with his challenges, but it won't make those challenges go away.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    JCKDW, thank you for sharing. It's good to hear from others with similar experience. And now that I think about it, I know a family with at least three gifted children, and the most gifted of them is also their most chill. I agree with you that we should probably see how next year goes. I know there will be an adjustment period, as he is accustomed to everything at school being easy. I've been told that the first couple of months in the gifted program can be rough for some, when they are truly pushed for the first time and panic a little. He's the kind of kid the program is designed for (it likely still doesn't give enough acceleration for the highly gifted kids, but is just right for the moderates) so he deserves a chance to be in an appropriate school environment before we do anything major. In the meantime, he is seeing the psychologist who did his testing every couple of weeks to talk through things that are bothering him and learn coping strategies for some of his anxiety, and I think that is our middle ground for now. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    SoCali, OT has been mentioned to me by a friend whose child required it to help with some impulse control (which we could also use) and sensory issues, and it is not off the table as an option.

When my son did his testing, the psychologist did say that he was very impulsive in answering, and in at least two areas(within VS and FR I believe) he answered enough incorrectly that questions had to be stopped for that section. But the doctor felt there was more ability in there somewhere, so he asked a few more "off the record" and he got three more in each section right. So his score is also a bit low, but I was told that all observations considered, it's likely only about 5-8 FSIQ points higher than the report shows. Not a drastic difference, but he did somewhat underperform due to impulsivity.

For now, we have him seeing the psychologist who did his testing, because they really got along well. I think the more the doctor digs in and gets to know him, the more we will figure out about what is really going on. The doctor did tell me in our last meeting that my son is definitely dealing with OEs, although we aren't sure yet which ones may be crossing a line into a problem that should be treated. For example, we see him at home working on the computer (math usually) and he is constantly making noise, cannot sit still, looks for everything in the world like a child with ADHD. But when he is at school doing MAP testing, which also requires sitting and working for an extended period, he does not do that--because he knows he can't. The doctor suggested that what we are seeing at home is a psychomotor OE. He can suppress it when he needs to, but it feels good to do it, so he does it when he can. If that particular symptom were ADHD related, he would HAVE to do it, no matter where he was, even though he didn't really want to. Learning some of these differences is important for us, and we continue to learn and observe.

Thank you for your input, and I hope your daughter's situation improves as well. It's so hard to know what to do when you are quite sure that where they are spending 7+ hours of their day is not the right environment for them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM