Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I ask for feedback for these scores only because a number or psychologists have told me that they have never seen such a discrepancy in the WISC V scores:

FSIQ 112

VCI 146
    VSI 86
    FRI 109
    WMI 100
    PSI 92

This is what they call a "Frustation Profile". Anyone ever seen this spread before?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

Yes, or something like it. Not too many times, though. The last one I saw that was in this range was severely dyslexic, but did extremely well with reading comprehension (by an amazing feat of deriving meaning from context, and very good listening comprehension providing the learner with good background knowledge), and passably with math.

But the profile alone doesn't always translate to the same challenges. This could also look like an excellent reader, who struggles mainly with mathematics. Or a student with good academics who has DCD (developmental coordination disorder). Without knowing more clinical information, one hesitates to affirm that the scores mean anything specific.

What IRL concerns do you have?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    My son had a similar spread on the WISC V. It wasn't quite as extreme, but his Verbal was very high, Processing Speed much lower, and VSI was almost as low as PSI.

We sought out testing because we were seeing some real life problems that were presenting obstacles for him. He was reading well at 4 years old, but refused to learn numbers at that age, and had trouble focusing during his math classes/lessons as he got older. Any homework he had, especially writing or math, took him many times longer than his peers to complete, and it was rarely completed without fits being thrown and frustration exploding. This is an otherwise calm, compliant child, so we knew something wasn't right. During his 5th grade year, we took him to a psychologist for testing.

In the end, between the testing, the observations made by the psychologist during testing, surveys done by all of his teachers, and another in-office evaluation for attention, he was diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive Type.

This is of course not a suggestion of a diagnosis for your child, just our experience. We also think there is some related anxiety for our son. As we observe his efforts in areas that present challenges for him and require him to organize his thoughts and produce something, he falters and becomes anxious, which shuts down his brain...it can be a vicious cycle at our house. I have also seen this profile called the frustration profile, and I agree based on my my son's experience! When he has been given group tests like Cogat at school, he scores in the 9th stanine. His MAP tests are always very high. His teachers always assume he is 100% across the board gifted based upon their interactions with him and his testing results. Then when he cannot produce high level work, or any work at all sometimes, they are flummoxed. So is he, I think.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM