Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Lorel. I appreciate the moral support, not to mention the kind words about my DS. He seems like an awfully nice guy to me, but I'm more than a little biased. wink

Kriston
    What she's been doing is tantamount to kicking a puppy. It's cruel, unnecessary, and pointless.

Let's pretend that ds was actually in over his head. Would that have made her actions any less heinous? I don't think so. There is no justification for ignoring a child in your care. It doesn't matter if she overlooked his intellect- she still treated him very poorly.

I taught a class with a child in over his head, and I did not ignore him, ridicule him, or treat him as an inferior human being. That's just not productive or helpful in any respect.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That's sure what it felt like.

I'm not convinced she's aware of what she's doing--at least that's the more charitable reading of her actions, so it's how I'll choose to view it. I can't imagine someone would purposefully treat a 7yo the way she did, and right in front of his mom, too! What kind of despicable person would she have to be, you know? No, I'll assume she just couldn't recognize her own bias or how it was affecting her actions.

But regardless of her intentions, we wind up at the same place.

Thanks, Lorel. I really appreciate it!

Kriston
    K
    K
    I do think sometimes people are just in their own bubble and don't think. They aren't necessarily being intentionally malicious, but they just have no clue how they look from the outside. At least that's what gets me through the day when it comes to situations like this! laugh

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    She may feel like she has certain standards that she needs to be true to and might have seen your son as a challenge to them. Can't deviate from the "curriculum" for one child.

And to a point, I agree with this. That's why I initially agreed with her terms that she not slow down the class for him.

It's harder to see that line of thinking making sense when there are only 3 kids in the class though...Ignoring a full third of your students is pretty irresponsible! eek

Kriston
    Kriston, that's a good news about the class with your friend. It's a good start and you may find other gt kids who will fit right in later on. Combination of learning and a playdate sounds great.

Master of None sorry to hear about your experience. There is no excuse for being repeatedly mean to a child.

LMom
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM