Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Up until this year our kids have gone to private school. I have been really impressed with the financial literacy, character building, art, science and music in the public school my sons attend. We do not live in an affluent area and it is a Title 1 school. The building is old and the classes are full but there are a lot of great things going on there.

They have music, art, Spanish, a free after school violin program, special programs honoring veterans, MLK, and several great field trips focusing on history, theatre, and science. My fourth grader has had special classes for coding and upcycling.

Fourth graders are also spending the whole year on financial literacy. He has a class job, he has to pay rent for his desk, they’re fined for poor behavior and they can buy and sell items on market day. He has learned to balance a checkbook, fill out a job application, and interview. They also do the pledge of allegiance, recite the preamble, sing the Star Spangled Banner, and America the Beautiful in the morning.

Is this typical? It is way better than what I had in the 80’s. We just had music and the music teacher was mean. My kids’ music teachers are like 50 year old cheery camp counselor types. They even lead line dancing at the school dance.

I know it is commonplace to criticize public schools but this one seems great to me.

P
    P
    I am not in the US but don't title 1 schools get extra funding? I seem to have read they are often better resourced than those who just miss being title 1.

P
    P
    I don't know how common it is (not very in my neck of the woods nor when I was a kid) but I agree that it sounds great!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I'd hesitate to describe it as typical, based on my combined experiences of attending and working in multiple public school districts, including some that would be considered disadvantaged. On the whole, low-SES districts are more likely to be significantly under-resourced in every way (although, as I've said before, there are excellent teachers to be found in every setting). On the other hand, they also do sometimes connect with not only federal Title I funds, but grants, community agencies, university research projects on improving outcomes in low-SES schools, and non-profit initiatives targeting disadvantaged populations. Several of those resources are more likely to find low-SES schools than high-SES schools (but then, of course, high-SES schools are more likely to be able to self- or PTO-fund comparable services).

Also, as a generalization, attendance is a greater problem in disadvantaged populations, which obviously impacts educational outcomes severely. Many of the features you named are exceptionally valuable in terms of increasing and maintaining attendance, positive school climate, and a sense of membership in the school community, all of which are known to positively affect student academic and life outcomes. Schools struggling with inconsistent student attendance and poor motivation may prioritize differently. If they're not in school, it doesn't matter what your academic program is.

And as to Title I versus just-missed-Title I: there is likely something to that. In addition, when community partners go looking for schools to help, they tend to start from those schools listed as Title I, or as having a certain minimum percentage of free-and-reduced lunch.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks for the insight aeh. I’ve noticed the parent newsletters have emphasized regular attendance - things like “It is really important for your child to come to school everyday.”

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    On financial literacy, my son (and all the fourth graders I’ve talked to) are super excited about this program:

http://jawashington.org/about-us

These programs should be everywhere.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM