Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    Honu72 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    We are planning to move to provide the best option for our children for high school. They are not PG. I am disappointed to find how difficult it is to access information about gifted-only programs throughout the country. We are looking for a place that truly nurtures the curiosity and intellectual exploration of the gifted child- not a pressure cooker that is focused only on acceleration and college acceptance. I would appreciate any information available. TIA

I
    I
    Welcome!

I understand that you are not interested in Davidson Academy as you mention that your children are not PG, and you are looking for a list that contains both private/independent schools and public schools.

With the introduction of Common Core and the extensive data collection on students to ensure equal outcomes, unfortunately many schools receiving US government funds may not emphasize the continued growth and development of the gifted but may cap the learning and achievement of students at the top, while focusing on bringing up the performance of other students.

This may help explain why it is difficult to access information about gifted-only programs throughout the country: There may be few schools that truly nurture the curiosity and intellectual exploration of the gifted child. Additionally, some individuals may unfortunately utilize such a list to target the schools on it, squashing gifted-only programs as being elitist and not politically correct... replacing them with programs focused on talent development of average and below-average students.

For continuing growth and development, kids need:
    1) appropriate academic challenge
    2) true peers
    For typical kids, these needs may be met in a general ed classroom, however for children with higher IQ/giftedness, these needs may not be met without intentional effort in providing advanced curriculum, and grouping for instruction with academic/intellectual peers.

Some general resources to consider for school selection and determining the right "fit" for each of your children:
    1- High School ratings/rankings
    2- Article on interpreting High School ratings/rankings
    3- The Davidson database has information on choosing a school, including:
    - - Basic educational options for gifted students in schools
    - - Choosing the right school for your gifted child (contains "must-ask questions and the answers that you should seek")
    4- book: What Colleges Don't Tell You... and other parents don't want you to know (2007)
    5- book: Exam Schools - Inside America's Most Selective High Schools (2012)
    6- Semester schools (list)
    7- travel experiences, unschooling
    8- online options such as Laurel Springs gifted academy, while a child is immersed in a hobby or engaged in an early career
    9- College acceptance/matriculation of each High School's graduates/alumni (This *is* important as during high school the concept of giftedness is generally measured less as high potential and more as a high level of accomplishment/achievement: What has the student demonstrated an ability to do with his/her high potential? General "curiosity" combined with maturing executive function skills begins to facilitate a somewhat more focused, internally motivated pursuit of one or more areas of passion.)

Please let us know where you move, where you place your children, and how they find their high school educational experiences to be.

H
    Honu72 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I apologize for the delay in my reply - I am just finding my way around the forum.
    These are great suggestions and your assessment of the current state of education in the US is (depressingly) accurate seeming to me.
    I will take your suggestions as I move forward in my search, thank you.

H
    Honu72 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I homeschooled my kids for exactly these reasons. My older son (age 12) has been half time for the past 2 years in a magnet school that has been a great transition into mainstream schooling but where he is quickly becoming unchallenged. My younger son (age 10) spent the last year at a charter school where he made great friends but was not challenged academically at all.
    I hope your homeschool journey is wonderful!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You might also consider using dual enrollment, online schooling, or both as resources for the secondary years, whether in homeschooling or brick & mortar. A number of states (e.g., CA, MA, WA, to name a few from different quadrants of the USA) have programs specifically allowing high schoolers to dual enroll in community colleges, with varying levels of guaranteed transfer or admission with advanced standing into the state university system.

Here's a nice starting point for researching state-by-state policies:
    https://www.ecs.org/dual-concurrent-enrollment-state-profiles/

Dual enrollment is not a perfect solution, either, but it can be an additional tool for some.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Moving is something that shouldn't be considered lightly because it can have emotional and psychological consequences on children especially in adolescence. The impact can be felt for the rest of their life.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM