Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    I
    I
    aquinas, for clarity... not sure whether you are, or are not, in favor of free tuition at US public universities? From my understanding of your posts, you are.

Would you please share the state of college tuition in Canada?
    In this post upthread, you mentioned tution was lower in Canada. What do you attribute this to?

Originally Posted by aquinas
    I am in favour of quantitatively evaluating the externality (the value created outside the transaction) associated with post-secondary education within a needs-based framework.
    For clarity, when you say "quantitatively evaluating", do you mean researching/discovering something which is not yet known?

P
    P
    https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2013/2013183.pdf (for the numbers)

My understanding is that if we redirected all state and federal spending on private and public universities solely to public universities that we could presumably fund them for free or at least make them significantly less expensive.

Here's an Atlantic article that attempts to explain how.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...ending-a-penny-more-on-education/273801/

I
    I
    ... accept responsibility (as taxpayers) for supporting the development of children where their families cannot sustain that burden, in part or in whole.
    There are many US taxpayer-funded programs which do this.

It is my understanding that you reside in Canada
    In Canada, where I live... tuition is more affordable here, and student debt is dischargeable
    Do you pay taxes to fund the US government?

he reason why I'm hesitant to approach post-secondary access solely through the lens of affordability at point of tuition payment. The issue of affordability and access is better addressed--and more comprehensively so--by tackling the larger challenge of creating a social ecosystem, from birth, that allows children from impoverished families to prosper. Pricing of post-secondary tuition remains a challenge to address, but one which is then secondary.
    Do I understand correctly that you are in favor of free tuition at US public universities?
    And other financial supports as well?

any one of us could have been subject to starting conditions which could have substantially hindered our development
    Yes, I'm aware of many that have.

Why accept that for our fellow humans, most especially for children, if we wouldn't want it for ourselves or our own families?
    There are many options available for becoming upwardly mobile in US society, most involving struggle and sacrifice, and developing internal locus of control.

As to the research links, aquinas, please remember that correlation does not imply causation. Do you have studies which go beyond correlation to prove causation? Perhaps we have come full circle, and not advanced understanding,as this seems to repeat earlier posts seeking clarification...

I
    I
    It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that when only public schools/universities were taxpayer funded, some segments of the population raised the issue of affordability (lack of access) at private institutions... leading to taxpayer funding for various private institutions.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by indigo
    It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that when only public schools/universities were taxpayer funded, some segments of the population raised the issue of affordability (lack of access) at private institutions... leading to taxpayer funding for various private institutions.

That would be new information to me (so if you have a link, I'd appreciate it) but it's also probably harkens back to a time when a high school education was sufficient to enter more industries at an entry level. And the cost of college, public or private, was much more in line with the ability of students to self-fund a decent portion thereof.

A strong argument for reducing the cost of public universities is precisely that the current public high school education curriculum does not prepare the average American high school student to actually enter most industries. So, a responsible society has 2 choices.

1) Overhaul pre-college public education such that the students are employable upon graduation; or

2) Subsidize the cost of public university education to accomplish the same goal.

Failing to do either means that we're wasting the money spent on public, pre-college, education since it's largely insufficient for the needs of those it's "educating".

Since public school education prior to college is largely funded by state and municipality level funding decisions, this means thousands of independent entities (13,506) being asked to suddenly align education goals. You have a better chance of accomplishing the goal at the college level and if you can do it simply by re-allocating existing spending instead of creating new spending, it's the better financial option as well.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by philly103

That would be new information to me (so if you have a link, I'd appreciate it)
    Unfortunately, no link, therefore I offered that I could be wrong in my recollection.

the needs of those it's "educating"
    By needs, do you mean for the students to be workforce ready?

Ironically, in past generations, many children were "workforce ready" as paper boys, store clerks, lifeguards, etc while in middle school and high school. Rather than specialized school programs, they had strong work ethic, a desire to earn on-the-job, and to succeed.

Some may see the needs of the students we are educating as being a need for liberal arts education.

P
    P

That would be new information to me (so if you have a link, I'd appreciate it)
    Unfortunately, no link, therefore I offered that I could be wrong in my recollection.

Originally Posted by philly03
    the needs of those it's "educating"
    By needs, do you mean for the students to be workforce ready?

No, I think that's too narrow a definition of the value of education.

But we've all read enough to know that for many students graduating from American high schools they are not workforce ready...nor are they college ready...nor are they adequately prepared for a variety of life skills, such as basic financial literacy.

So whether they're looking for job, headed to college or simply going to just "live", they're not adequately prepared across the board.

Workforce readiness takes on more significance at the college level since part of the assumptions that many college bound kids make is that their educations will prepare them to step into jobs that pay back the cost of that education.

P
    P
    Ironically, in past generations, many children were "workforce ready" as paper boys, store clerks, lifeguards, etc while in middle school and high school. Rather than specialized school programs, they had strong work ethic, a desire to earn on-the-job, and to succeed.

Sure, but in the 21st century those jobs don't exist and the presence of their modern equivalents are declining.

I
    I
    for many students graduating from American high schools they are not workforce ready...nor are they college ready...nor are they adequately prepared for a variety of life skills, such as basic financial literacy.

So whether they're looking for job, headed to college or simply going to just "live", they're not adequately prepared across the board.

Workforce readiness takes on more significance at the college level since part of the assumptions that many college bound kids make is that their educations will prepare them to step into jobs that pay back the cost of that education.
    Some may say that this not the purview of the government school system, but rather teaching which has historically taken place in families, and may best still take place in the family.

However discussion of high school subjects begins to drift away from the price of college tuition, possibly veering off topic.

I
    I

Sure, but in the 21st century those jobs don't exist and the presence of their modern equivalents are declining.
    While I agree there are many fewer paper boys, I do see many openings for part-time store clerks and lifeguards.

That said, a discussion of availability of jobs for middle school and high school students may begin to veer off topic from college affordability.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM