Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I'm currently putting together a parent resource library for a newly formed Special Ed PTA and am looking for recommendations of the books you have found most helpful on your journey. There are several highly recommended books from Wrightslaw (From Emotions to Advocacy, All About IEP's and All About Tests and Evaluations) already on my list. Are these good choices or have you found better ones?

I have read good things here about "The Explosive Child" and "The Misunderstood Child". Still recommended? How about "Driven to Distraction" or "Social Rules for Kids"? Is there a better go to than "Overcoming Dyslexia" or "The Dyslexic Advantage"? When we were first starting out I found "101 School Success Tools for Smart Kids with Learning Difficulties" very helpful but I don't know if anything more recent has taken it's place.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Since this will be for a SEPTA there will be a large range of need. I have no personal experience with ADHD, autism or difficult behaviors so am especially interested in identifying helpful titles in those areas.

Thanks in advance.

E
    E
    In addition to / instead of The Explosive Child, Ross Greene's newest book is called Raising Human Beings. It's a retread if you have read his other books, but I think it's the one I would hand to a parent who is new to the idea of CPS.

S
    S
    Social Rules for Kids gets a HUGE thumbs up from me. It's good for children who are not picking up on social cues for any reason. Made a huge difference for my ADHDer. I suspect the intended audience is autism spectrum.

Driven to Distraction is for adults, mostly about adult ADHD. I wouldn't use that one. Smart but Scattered is a equal-quality book for parents of kids with ADHD. It's intended for average and up, but pretty much average intelligence.

I second The Explosive Child, and just requested Raising Human Begins from the library thanks to @ElizabethN's suggestion. (Thank you!)

I have found that reward systems SERIOUSLY backfire for ADHD, so I would add Punished by Rewards and/or Unconditional Parenting. Punished by Rewards is more theoretical and uses many adult/workplace examples. It does not give parenting advice. However, it was a great foundation for Unconditional Parenting.

P
    P
    All of those are great suggestions. Don't forget Webb's "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis". Also, "Smart but Scattered" now has a teen version.

A
    A
    Carlos Gonzales; “Kiss Me! How to Raise You Children with Love”

Mary Sheedy Kurcinka; “Raising your Spirited Child”

Miraca Gross; “Exceptionally Gifted Children”

Deborah Ruf; “5 Levels of Gifted”

Kathleen Panula Hockey; “Raising Depression-Free Children”

Alison Gopnik et al; “The Scientist in the Crib”

I also think it’s helpful to have a clinical workbook on cognitive behavioural therapy and emotion focused therapy on hand to provide micro-interventions as they’re needed. Everyone can benefit from these modalities at different times of their lives, and it helps to have some of the practices in mind as you parent and teach your children.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    I like the CBT workbook for kids titled Think Good, Feel Good. Appropriate for tweens and teens because examples include situation with kids hanging out with friends and boyfriend/stuff along the lines of "she doesn't like me".

"Different Minds" is a heavy read for parents about where giftedness, aspergers, and ADHD intersect and how we can tease apart what might be normal giftedness versus giftedness plus autism traits or plus ADHD.

S
    S
    Organizational Skill Training for Children with ADHD by Gallagher, Abikoff, and Spira. Intended for clinicians, but parents and teachers can use it quite easily. All the forms they suggest using are in the book. It is a reward system based book.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks for the recommendations - please keep them coming.

Any input on the following:

The Complete IEP Guide by Lawrence Siegel
    The Whole Brain Child by Daniel Siegel, et al
    S.M.A.R.T.E.R. Steps Guide to Creating Smarter IEP Goals by Kelly Ott, et al
    The Art of Advocacy by Charmaine Thaner
    Your Special Education Rights by Jennifer Laviano and Julie Swanson

P
    P
    I have "The Whole Brain Child" and have found it very helpful for modeling my engagement with my son. We don't have any special needs like ADHD or similar concerns but I think it's a helpful resource no matter what a child's specific needs might be.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM