Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 316 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #242076 04/13/18 06:11 PM
    S
    SoCAli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    We recently had DD9 - 3rd grade evaluated and she was identified as MG, other specified ADHD, anxiety & depression. Her school also recently placed her in the G&T program for next year (4th grade). She'll be in a G&T cluster in a regular ed classroom, in the advanced math and langauge arts groups at grade level. Other than that, G&T is just parent led enrichment (due to funding issues). frown

We had DD evaluated because of social struggles at school & behavioral struggles at home. We are meeting with the school for a 504 plan in the next few weeks, but I'm not sure what to ask for or where to start. I plan to pour over pervious posts and would love any advice you have.

DD9 - 3rd Grade, DS6 - Kinder
    SoCAli #242082 04/13/18 07:53 PM
    S
    SoCAli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Oops! Not sure about that frowny face on the post title...

SoCAli #242092 04/14/18 02:03 PM
    S
    S
    My son has a 504 for ADHD. The clincher for his eligibility for his 504 was that he was requiring more intervention than his same-age classmates who also have ADHD while he medication/treatment was ideal/as good as it gets.

His 504 addresses test anxiety with extra time. The school did not have resources to help him with organization skills. Bummer. My nephew checks in with a teacher at the beginning of the day to go through his backpack and homework, and again at the end of the day to check his backpack and homework.

My son's plan included seating, like sitting near a teacher in the classroom and sitting at a table in the hall for independent work. The school was set up with workstations in the hall that they used for things like that, it was a normal intervention and not seen as isolating.

SoCAli #242100 04/15/18 05:57 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by SoCAli
    I plan to pour over previous posts...
    Here are a few as a starting point:
    roundup on Individual Education Plans(IEP) and 504
    - Wrightslaw: Writing Smart IEPs
    - IEP recommendations
    - possible ideas of what to include in a 504
    - Knowing one's strengths and owning one's weaknesses (hat tip to Platypus101)

I find the search (and advanced search) feature on this forum to be unable to locate certain things such as '504', 'IEP', 'IAS', etc... whether it is because they are short (3 characters), numeric, all-caps, etc??? Therefore it is sometimes helpful to begin finding old threads by using a roundup of links, such as those above.

The roundups on Executive function, Perfectionism and anxiety, and Social skills may also be of interest (or not).

SoCAli #242111 04/15/18 11:13 PM
    S
    SoCAli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you so much for the input & resources. I'm not sure if she'll qualify for a 504 but I think it is a good sign that the school suggested it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM