Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello, it's been a long time between posts...

My 16yr old has a long history of testing for all sorts of things (she's somewhere between MG-HG, Aspie, dyslexic, APD, hypermobile joints, etc). She's currently not had any tests of any kind for about 3.5 years and has been doing well at school, not without issues, but mostly showing more of her gifts than her weaknesses. However, she needs to be able to type her long answer written exams (English and History) for year 11/12 IB and so we are no required to jump through all the hoops again.

She has (fairly) neat handwriting and can produce large volumes of handwriting at a decent speed (with increasing pain for length of time). Her issue is that her writing quality degrades, she loses over all quality of expression, sentence structure, punctuation, output becomes too long, etc. She feels like she can't "think".

We've been asked for a "Full Educational Assessment" ie IQ and academic testing, but it's not really clear to me what aspect of a standard set of IQ/matched academic tests is going to identify and address this issue. Does anyone have any insight?

Last edited by MumOfThree; 04/13/18 02:49 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The profiles that I usually consider for typed response as an accommodation include:

oral expression > written expression
    any reasoning index (VCI, PRI, VSI, FRI) > processing speed (PSI, or just the Coding subtest)
    verbal cognition (VCI) > written verbal achievement (written expression, writing fluency/output, written mechanics)
    quality of written expression (i.e., composition skills not scored for mechanics) > written mechanics
    brief written expression (sentence length) > extended written expression (essay/paragraph length)

Psychoed assessment is involved most likely because they are attempting to document educational impact to justify the specialized accommodation of typed response. (Though one would hope that sometime in the very near future typing for long essays would become a standard accommodation for any student!)

Of course, any below average result from OT/fine motor assessment, or, presumably, a doctor's note stating that her joint hypermobility is a medical condition affecting prolonged writing tasks, ought to support typed response. She's reporting pain while writing extended pieces, which, one would hope, would be a shoo-in for typed response.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    AEH, thank you so much! That is really very helpful. I have been through so many rounds of IQ tests with my kids, but the matched educational testing seems less commonly applied here so I am not really clear what is in those tests and how the parts match up etc.

I was particularly unclear how we could be ascertaining the benefit of typing without directly testing the typing...

It's odd that no one has mentioned a paediatrician assessment of her joint hypermobility, I will look into that too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM