Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    We have had a rough year. We started my son's 1st grade year at a private school. He had mentioned in Kindergarten that the work was too easy so I contacted the principal over the summer. We talked and he sad they would do MAP tests in the fall but he didn't believe there was such a thing as gifted kids--all kids are gifted. My son was tested in October and made scores in all subjects that were in the 99% and did not show up on the charts until much higher grades. Even with the results, the principal didn't want to do anything for my son. During this time my son started having tummyaches, crying, refusing to go to school, asking, "Why do I need to go? I don't learn anything." We tried to be patient and work with the school but eventually pulled him out to homeschool. I got him on GiftedandTalented.com (formerly EPGY) but then they discontinued their program:( and my son was missing other children so much so we put him in public school and they gave him the CogAT which he scored in the 99% on and qualified for the GT program. I was excited and thought this would help him but the response I got was "glad he was accepted but services don't start until fall" which disheartened me. They know he is struggling. On top of that, talking to other moms, it sounds like the GT program here doesn't really differentiate work for the children. They still follow the same curriculum as other kids in the same grade but are given a few extra projects over the course of the year. I took him to Mathnasium because he has been asking for harder math and they assessed him at a late 4th/early 5th grade level. He has been working at that level the last few weeks and it is the first place who has even attempted to give him appropriate work. The schools (both public and private) test him but then don't do much about it. What I am asking is have I done enough for him? He's still so unhappy before school. Is there anything else I should have done for him? I'm at a loss and tired from trying to fight for him for a year with very little results. So sorry to write such a long story but would love to hear any advice you all have or options I should explore! Thank you!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

Sorry to hear you and your DC have had such a challenging few years with schooling. Unfortunately, this is not an unusual story for children with his cognitive profile. You will certainly find a lot of sympathy here.

Others will contribute soon, I am sure, but I'll start you off with a few not-necessarily-connected thoughts:

1. It is likely that he will need changes in the approach to managing his educational needs multiple times during his K-12 years. The downside to this is that, even if you find a good solution for one year (or quarter, or month), it probably won't last. The upside is that any approach you try can be treated with a little less emotional investment, as an experiment or trial, just for the time being, or until it becomes evident that it has run its course.

2. It sounds like the concerns with homeschooling were the loss of G&T.com, and the absence of peer social interactions. Those can be addressed. There are many other online or paper curricula available for homeschooling (many of them are discussed in the Recommended Resources room of this forum), some of which have received even better reports than fka EPGY. Many communities have homeschool meetups, coops, partial homeschooling arrangements with public or private schools, etc. Many (or most) extracurriculars do not require enrollment in a specific school, such as recreational sports leagues, library-run robotics clubs, dance, music, or theater.

There is also the point that a child who is currently extremely unhappy and struggling with school is unlikely to be truly benefiting from the peer social contact he receives, since that's a relatively small percentage of the day, while work on skills far below his zone of proximal development is a fairly substantial percentage of his day.

...Just to reassure you that homeschooling may still be on the table, even though your brief attempt didn't work out as expected.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM