Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    #241762 03/29/18 05:21 PM
    Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So, DD was in a camp for gifted students with STEM interests over Spring Break. Both the dropoff and pickup times were well within the normal 8-5 workday. And DD and I both made an interesting observation - nearly every parent at pickup/dropoff was male. I've never seen that in any other context.

So, what we have here are gifted children with a keen interest in STEM, so much so that they gave up part of their vacations, and potential evidence of a very involved dad in nearly every case (even if they didn't have to make special work arrangements like I did, they at least took the time to make the drive twice a day). Given that women were (and still are, to a lesser degree) actively discouraged from pursuing STEM careers in previous generations, this would seem to make sense - gifted children with involved dads would be more likely to be exposed to and be excited by STEM, since they're more likely to get that from their fathers.

I'm interested to hear your anecdata in support or refutation.

C
    C
    Dropping off DD13 at math camp last summer were Engineer Dad, Chemist Mom, and Mechanical Engineering Major older sister. So I don't know what to make of that.

E
    E
    Yeah, I am female, have a Ph.D. in Materials Engineering (and a JD), and dropped DS9 off at engineering camp last summer. I did not notice that there were more dads than typical there. It's possible that you were the one who experienced the aberration.

N
    N
    I didn't drop a daughter at any camp this break. My observation is that girls are overly encouraged to be in STEM occupations. Even The Big Bang Theory had an episode with the guys going to a middle school encouraging STEM jobs for girls. Our school District, and I'm sure others do the same, have a GEMS Saturday every year. As to guys dropping off kids I might have to agree with it being an aberration

A
    A
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    My observation is that girls are overly encouraged to be in STEM occupations.

Could you kindly qualify what it means for girls to be "overly encouraged" to be in STEM occupations?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    My family history (extended, FOO, and nuclear) is counter to many STEM stereotypes regarding women, with many male and female adult role models for STEM going back several generations, so any anecdata I might present would likely be outlier data anyway, but I will offer this tidy little review of the research, which notes, among other things, that maternal stereotypes/views on women in STEM are more of a factor than paternal views:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2372732214549471

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That's interesting, aeh.

This study came to a different conclusion, specifically about math - the more proto-human the father's attitudes were, the more their daughters were turned off from math: http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/5895-how-dads-influence-their-daughters-interest-in-math

N
    N
    I think by "overly encouraged" turns into telling girls what they should do. If I tried to encourage by daughter into a STEM career it will have the opposite effect. Sometimes saying nothing is better

Dude Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I share aquinas' confusion, nicoledad, and your recent response hasn't cleared it up. Certainly nobody is forcing my DD's interests in STEM, but with enough of the usual social pressures, it wouldn't be hard to force her out.

We're talking about interesting, good-paying jobs, and in an economy where automation is forcing a lot of other people out of work, being in the business of automation seems like a pretty smart bet. There are more jobs than we have qualified people to fill them, so there's a labor supply crisis. And we know that women are self-selecting out of these careers in shocking numbers, so it seems pretty obvious where we could go to alleviate that shortage.

In short - why should we not be encouraging both boys and girls (and boys are already getting TONS of encouragement) to consider these careers?

N
    N
    To my daughter having GEMS suggests there is something wrong. Data means nothing to her. I disagree but she in a way is going to be what she wants to be.

In regards to boys she doesn't see the encouragement for example of boys being encouraged into non traditional male jobs.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM