Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Dude
    My DD would happily fill your ear with commentary about how the kids in her grade are immature, and she was already skipped a year.

Case in point, DD treated me to this gem this afternoon: “You know what’s the best thing about testing? People finally shut up.”

S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Chay, the link shows the difference and is helpful. I will create one and keep for my use. Thank you.
    Dude, yes, they consider his 2nd grade classmates as the right peers as all of them are one grade accelerated in the gifted program. I am trying to request them to give him, a little more than that.

indigo, sure, I understand what you are saying about the 'yes/no' situations. I will try to maintain the amicability and have my action items on the list, in any case. I am worried because I do not have a clear plan B. I do not know if they do one or more subject accelerations individually and I have not checked with them on it till now. I would love to homeschool, but when I discussed that with my DS, he does not seem to want it (at least as of now). He wants to get out, meet and be with his buddies. He is basically liking going to school everyday. Private school is not an option for us right now due to the tuition. I provide him enrichment in Math and LA at home. I am still new to all this and trying to figure out what kind of learning plan I need to come with, for him to make sure he learns more than he revises.

A
    A
    In the short term, your plan B is that he remain in a one-year accelerated program in a gifted class, and you advocate to provide as much acceleration as possible within that classroom.

I would like you to look at Deb Ruf’s guide to levels of giftedness and place your child (privately). Most children in his program are probably level 2 (or 3 if it’s a magnet in an urban center). If he is a 4 or 5, his intellectual needs and capabilities will be different, even if he presents, socially, as a “peer” to his cohort.

http://www.iowatag.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/HowSmartisMyChild.pdf

You might be stunned at what he can accomplish in a very short period of time if you let him rip in a subject he loves. Very gifted children really are socialized to fit the mold, even in an otherwise mostly supportive setting.

In your shoes, because it seems the biggest issue is unknown unknowns and how that will affect your advocacy, I’d bite the bullet and buy an IAS kit stat. Know what you want, then go get it! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    I
    ss62, a question to further clarify your thinking about the grade skip you are seeking... not just a skip to the next grade, but into the gifted cohort or cluster of that next grade? Might the school consider arranging a day or half-day classroom visit or shadowing experience for your child, to help assess the "fit"?

S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    indigo, yes, he is currently in 2nd grade gifted where he does 3rd grade CC curriculum. If he gets a skip grade, he will go into the 4th grade gifted where they teach 5th grade curriculum, skipping 4th grade curriculum. If he does not get a skip grade, he will go into 3rd grade and study the 4th grade CC. A half-day classroom visit is a good option. I will ask them for that if the skip grade meeting does not go well and they agree to review later. I am getting an IAS kit soon. I will try to fill out and come up with required plans, before the meeting.

Aquinas, yes, he will remain in the program and they may not differentiate instructions much within that classroom. Thank you for Deborah Ruf's guide. It quantifies several little milestones.

Last edited by ss62; 04/13/18 09:30 AM.
    A
    A
    Excellent! Good luck!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you Aquinas, sorry forgot to mention your name in my previous post. Editing now.

S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I purchased an IAS kit. After reading through the manual, I have filled out the forms and I think I am a bit more ready to go for the meeting next week. my 'unknowns' have come down a little too. The school may not recognize my filled out forms and his numbers from IAS as they have clarified earlier that they do not want to use IAS and would follow their own procedure for acceleration, which I believe is not objective, as I have been told there are no forms for me to fill in. can I take the filled out forms to present to the school board and show them the various aspects that needs to be considered and my DS's numbers for each of them? I am asking because IAS is a copyrighted material and the school district does not have one at the moment.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    But you bought one, so it seems to me you have a legal copy. Parents can bring any information they like to the school district. (They don't have to use it, of course.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Agreed. smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM