Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    M
    M
    When you find your second grader in a heap on the couch, tears running down his face, eyes puffy, and you figure surely the dog has died or some other tragedy has occurred because he has obviously been crying for a while. No, he just found his kindergarten handprint poem and was reminded that he is growing up and will never be that small again.

Or when your 13yo is heartbroken because her dog did die.

Rather, the dog was hers when she was 2, she has visited it exactly twice that she can remember, and didn't exactly bond with it when she did.

M
    M
    Oh, bless her. We can relate. The same kid who was crying over his handprint poem also had a complete breakdown about my aunt's dog. This is a dog we would only see at specific family gatherings, maybe three times a year. The dog died, I did not tell him because I didn't want to deal with the devastation, then when my aunt did eventually tell him he was outraged that she was able to tell him without breaking down herself (it had been months). He is now angry at all of us for not telling him when it happened, and in the year that has passed since he found out, he has cried over this dog at bedtime several times. This dog which was not his, and he interacted with maybe six times in his life. Big feelings about EVERY THING.

Last edited by melissan; 03/14/18 01:16 PM.
    A
    A
    My parents need to stop acting so mystified by DS8's anxiety over movies. They've clearly forgotten how terrified *I* was of movies after they inadvertantly forced me to watch the entirety of the horror flick "The Dark Crystal" as a child. They really need to get their inner Elsa going and Let It Gooooooooooo.

L
    L
    Took DD5 to the movies for the first time the other week. Picked the happiest sounding movie I could find. Still ended in loud, wailing tears and us having to leave early.

Also, she refuses to use the last lot of toilet paper we bought, because the puppy on it is too cute. I had to go out and find some more, with a different print, just for her.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Oh, I can so relate to every one of these posts! I am so happy I started this thread.

Just a few of ours that are similar to some of the above:

- Yesterday, DS8 brought up an old living room chair we got rid of years ago. He was sad because the cats had shredded the back of it (using it as a scratching post) and we no longer had this "souvenir" of the cats.

- DS8 sometimes cries because our cats will die someday.

- DS6 will run out of the room whenever a movie or tv show gets too scary, or when someone does something that will get them in trouble. For context, this happens even during old Bugs Bunny shows.

- And an oldie but a goodie: DS8 was still TERRIFIED of Swiper when he was 5 years old (DS6 loved the show when he was 3). DS8 couldn't handle any scene with Swiper in it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM