Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I am trying to figure out the best approach to take with math for my (currently) first grader. In kindergarten she was utterly bored and eventually disengaged, as she already knew the content and the class did little to differentiate. At the start of first grade we requested more differentiated assignments, and the teacher offered a variety of enrichment activities for kids who are ahead -- Sunshine Math led by a parent once a week, "challenge math" packets, and an adaptive iPad app. The gifted program also has a math pullout once a week for an hour, with more math games and enrichment. All of that except the app is grade level (addition/subtraction) only as the school does not want kids trying advanced topics like multiplication before they are taught.

Our daughter has repeatedly complained that all of this is too easy (though she likes the Sunshine Math problems) and stated that she wants to do more advanced math. After reading Developing Math Talent, I suspected enrichment alone might not be enough to meet her needs, and math acceleration might be appropriate. We met with the classroom and gifted teachers and principal to discuss our options. The teachers said that they would provide harder math in the packets, including simple multiplication. However, the principal was very resistant to the idea of subject acceleration (even one grade) in math starting next year, citing potential "holes" in math knowledge, social issues from being in class with kids a year older, and scheduling.

I wanted to see what our daughter already knows, so took her to a local Mathnasium for an evaluation. She passed their end of second grade test with 96%, and end of third grade with 89%. She was slower on the third grade test since she had to figure out her own strategies for multiplying and dividing larger numbers (she hasn't been taught the standard approaches).

In reading and writing she is also at the top of her class, but not by as much as in math, and the adaptations are meeting her needs (for example, she can bring in books from home to read). So we haven't considered full grade acceleration. Starting in third grade the gifted program changes and gifted kids stay together for the full day; this would be at a different elementary school. At that point the math content is supposedly a year accelerated. After fifth grade the district uses ITBS and district achievement test scores to determine the math track for each kid, with algebra in seventh or even sixth grade if they are ready.

Some options we are considering for next year (second grade):

1. Push the school to send her to a regular third grade class during math. This is what I originally wanted when meeting with the principal. Our daughter would be closer to the math level she should be learning. But she may still find it easy, since by then she will probably be learning 4th grade math. And this could complicate getting the enrichment she is receiving now, since none of the other kids in that class would be pulled out for gifted services. The next year she would probably stay with the gifted third grade class for math since it is accelerated a year.

2. Have her leave her second grade class to go to the third grade gifted class during math. This would be closer to her level, but more logistically complex (if even possible) since it would be at a different school. Then in third grade she might go to the gifted fourth grade class for math. But it isn't clear that the elementary gifted program is set up to accommodate math acceleration; for example, they have many integrative projects.

3. Ask the school to let her follow an advanced push-in curriculum during her math class time, e.g., online learning. She would learn at her own pace, but this could be very isolating, and the teacher probably wouldn't be able to help when she had questions.

4. Leave math in school as is, and accelerate outside of school with Mathnasium, Beast Academy, Singapore Math, etc. I'm not excited about adding a lot of academics outside of school at this age, but am okay with it as long as she enjoys it.

5. Leave school math as is, and don't add outside math. She will be somewhat bored, but will still have the school enrichment activities, and a gifted math class starting in third grade.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

A
    A
    I'd recommend you consider the possibility of a grade skip to hasten the timeline to gifted. Reviewing your daughter's case against the Iowa Acceleration Scale would give you an assessment of her suitability for a grade skip. It's a good time of year to get the wheels in motion for the 2018-19 academic year.

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation with my DS6. He's telescoping two grades in a small private school within a mixed-age class. What we've done is have him do additional work in other subject areas at school--usually extra pleasure reading--and he completes Beast Academy with me at home for 20-30 minutes per night. With that minimal time commitment, he's easily going to be able to complete 2 BA grade levels in one year. You could probably complete one grade per year with 10-15 minutes per night.

For the current year, or assuming she remains in a lock-step aged-linked classroom, I'd advocate for a blend of (3) and (4). Provide your preferred curriculum to her from home, explain her assignment to her in advance, and have her attempt to complete it to the best of her ability in class. Gauge the extent to which the content and format fit her needs--both academic and executive function--and maneuver from there.

You might be pleasantly surprised at how much executive function your child can marshal when motivated to do interesting work. I certainly was. My DS6 is doing solo acceleration work for about 3 hours per day in class across several subjects, and he is given a daily checklist and set of assignments to complete. The teacher monitors loosely and provides alerts to switch subjects if necessary, but he is now mostly able to self-regulate and complete his work within the allotted time.

If you do opt for this arrangement, be aware of some of the distractions that might exist in class for your DD as she separates from the group (noise from class discussion, disruption from other students moving around, etc.). Simple solutions, like ear defenders or a more private desk location, can help her stay on task.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I second the recommendation for full-year acceleration, if applicable. Your story sounds very familiar to me, and after many attempts to do it the school's way, we finally crammed a full-year acceleration down their throats, and it was the only solution that managed to work for a full school year. Most of their solutions were successful for periods best measured in days, if that.

We heard the "gaps" argument many times, and asked them to administer an assessment to identify whether that concern was valid, and if so, help us to address them in order to make a grade skip successful. They refused. You've already got that data, and it confirms that gaps are not an issue. Not many end-of-third graders can pass an end-of-third grade math test with 89%, nevermind a three-quarters-through-first grader. And in any case, you're asking for a single year skip, so you'd be putting her in beginning of third grade next year - assuming the gifted class is one year ahead (many say that but don't deliver), that would put her at beginning of 4th, a very appropriate placement.

Re: #3 - Aquinas has indicated that it's working for her DS, but your mileage may vary. My DD experienced something similar in K. DD found herself completely isolated socially (and she's an extrovert), received zero teacher support (and she's not an autodidact), and the whole thing went very poorly. DD vacillated between hating herself for not having friends, and hating herself because she was too stupid for the math program, and must be an intellectual fraud.

Depends on the personality of the child.

A
    A
    Just wanted to call this out, too:

Originally Posted by stargazer15
    In reading and writing she is also at the top of her class, but not by as much as in math, and the adaptations are meeting her needs (for example, she can bring in books from home to read). So we haven't considered full grade acceleration.

Remember that these adaptations are likely at least a year ahead of grade norm, so that's further evidence in support of full grade acceleration.

Other pieces of data that would corroborate verbal abilities:

- Estimates of oral reading fluency (leveled guides online)
    - Running records
    - Lexile ratings for books
    - Written reports by your DD in a portfolio of works

Now that I've unilaterally hijacked your thread to encourage a grade skip, I'll bow out and wish you good luck! wink

S
    S
    I would suggest that subject acceleration by 2 grades or more puts you in a difficult situation in 4th and 5th grades. The 5th grade teacher will usually have resources to differentiate to 6th grade, but not further.

A aubject acceleration could be considered as a step in phased grade skip acceleration.

I am super not impressed with all arguments about "holes" in grade skipping.

In math, my son skipped from 1st to mid-4th grade, did 5th grade in 2 months, only did part of 6th grade before skipping to 9th (in 4th grade). This was through the local district's virtual charter school.

I put him into public (5th grade), where he was grade skipped mid year to 6th, and subject accelerated into 8th grade math. The only holes are differences in curriculum, and they're seriously no biggie. He could have them covered in a week or two of self-study.

One would expect my son would have tons of holes. Not really. If the virtual charter school and the bricks and mortar school used the same curriculum, he would be fine.

I think we underestimate our children's capacities. I think we often underestimate their social skills too. My son was a loner, social reject in elementary school until 5th grade he found a friend in his classroom who was grade skipped 2 grades. Now that he is grade stepped he has a lot of friends. I can't even keep track of them all. smile I did not expect it!

The only way to know is to try! Don't tolerate them basing decisions off of fear and assumption. Ask them to try. If it doesn't go well, move her again. Acceleration is a bit of guess and check sometimes!

P
    P
    Gifted maths students can fill holes quickly.

I
    I
    Welcome! smile

You've received great advice already.

I'll just add that you may be interested in this old thread, which contains a roundup of PROs and CONs on grade skipping. The Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) is a great tool for gathering data, discussing, and documenting decisions for acceleration.

S
    S
    We did online math through JH CTY for DD at that age (starting in second grade)
    and it worked very well. She started at her grade level course and she had her own lap top to work on during math time. It allowed her to work at her own pace and was a good solution for us. I would say be hesitant with a grade skip. DD was a slam dunk for acceleration per scores and the Iowa acceleration scales, but we hesitated. I am so glad that we did. She is middle school aged now and socially she is exactly where she should be. I am convinced school is really more about socialization than actual learning and there is a benefit to being one of the older students as opposed to one of the youngest. I accelerated two years and graduated at 16, I was successful academically but it is difficult to always be the youngest and you are exposed to things when you are two years younger than your same grade peers. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by sallymom; 03/22/18 06:17 AM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by sanne
    In math, my son skipped from 1st to mid-4th grade, did 5th grade in 2 months, only did part of 6th grade before skipping to 9th (in 4th grade). This was through the local district's virtual charter school.

I put him into public (5th grade), where he was grade skipped mid year to 6th, and subject accelerated into 8th grade math. The only holes are differences in curriculum, and they're seriously no biggie. He could have them covered in a week or two of self-study.

This exactly.

Originally Posted by sanne
    I think we underestimate our children's capacities. I think we often underestimate their social skills too. My son was a loner, social reject in elementary school until 5th grade he found a friend in his classroom who was grade skipped 2 grades. Now that he is grade stepped he has a lot of friends. I can't even keep track of them all. smile I did not expect it!

And this. Aptly put.

Originally Posted by sallymom
    I accelerated two years and graduated at 16, I was successful academically but it is difficult to always be the youngest and you are exposed to things when you are two years younger than your same grade peers. Good luck with your decision!

This is why it's important for parents to consider the personality and temperament of their children before the skip. I don't say this to minimize your experience in any way, but just to point out that social gaps from single or multiple accelerations aren't experienced the same way by all accelerants. As with any parenting decision, it comes down to the individual child. smile

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you all for the advice and resources! We are now seriously considering a grade skip (and all of the pros and cons there).

It may be complicated since the grade 3-5 gifted classes require additional testing, which has already taken place for next year. But even if we have to wait a year for that gifted program, a regular third grade classroom may be a better fit than second grade.

Our daughter is surprising us outside of math as well. For example, she has been enjoying reading some series at guided reading level M, so we assumed that was about her level (though her previous school evaluation was at level J). But then yesterday she found a book at level S that looked interesting and devoured it with no issues. So I get the feeling there is a lot we don't know about her abilities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM