Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    MsFriz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Does anyone have experience with these? Are they worth the money? During what year of school did your kid go?

I've seen some that look great, but I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to just hang on to our money for college.

C
    C
    No personal experience, but these programs are popular among a certain subset of students here.
    DD, now a senior, has one older friend who attended one of these programs at different colleges every summer from 7th grade on. She personally was not overly enthusiastic, but it sounds like the whole thing was more her parents’ plan, if you get my drift. She at times ended up taking classes she wasn’t totally interested in, and seemed kind of burned out by senior year, though that is not unusual here. I can’t say if it affected her eventual college admissions; she is at an Ivy League school, but might have ended up there anyway, who can say? (I am not sure if she attended a program at her current university, but the last couple of summers, arguably the ones that might matter according to some, were at different schools).
    DD has another friend who attended a summer program, in a field he is very interested in, at a highly elite school he very much wanted to attend. He had a great experience, and was admitted there early decision.

R
    R
    DS attended MathPath and MathZoom in 7th and 8th grades and loved them both. I have often read that these camps do not often look great to college admissions officers so to the extent he does any others he will not list them as summer activities but hopefully they will help him achieve something. For instance, a programming camp to help him achieve a higher level in USACO, etc.

M
    MsFriz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    More on my motivation: I like the idea of my son getting a taste of college life, including dorm life, before graduation, especially since he will graduate from high school two years early and is torn between doing a gap year and going straight to college.

I also like the idea of exploring an area of interest a little more deeply before committing to a school and program. If DS decided he wanted to go to art school over a liberal arts college, for example, I might feel better about the decision if he knew more about the difference between the two experiences.

That said, DS will already be taking some local college courses before graduating from high school, so maybe a summer college program is overkill.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM