Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi all,

I know many folks on here are from the States but I was wondering if anyone might have recommendations for finding homeschooling materials that would conform to the Ontario curriculum? We intend to homeschool our boys in grades 5 and 3 and have no idea where to start.

Help? smile

P
    P
    How wonderful, RRD! So amazing you're going to take the plunge.

My only advice - don't waste this opportunity by conforming to the Ontario curriculum. There's not much in there. Your boys could do so, so much more, and have so much more fun. The whole point is of homeschooling is to get them out of that poorly-fitting box.

There's tons of threads in the forum on high-quality, engaging and challenging curricula in all areas. Browse it like a Christmas catalog! (hmm, am I projecting? Maybe only a little smile ) And also recognize you may mostly teach by more ad hoc materials that can take deep dives and follow the kids' interests, if you are comfortable doing so.

If all this open-endedness makes you hyperventilate, here's a couple of thoughts to help ground things. The entire Ontario curriculum is on their website, so you can see what's supposed to be covered (even if it's rather incomprehensible). If you're worried about gaps in math, you can use Jump Math, which is the Ontario Curriculum re-written to be coherent and useable. But you can use that as a double-check, while still teaching with something fun like Beast Academy. Also, you can get full grade, all-subjects workbooks at Costco, fully-Ontario compliant. Don't imagine they'd be much fun for the kids, but you can use them yourself as a topics checklist.

Wishing you and the boys a fabulous year.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Well... I'm almost embarrassed to say that the main reason we'll be homeschooling is not to offer them a richer educational experience. We'll actually be taking a different kind of plunge - we're planning a sabbatical year during which we'll be living/travelling in various parts of the world. So we'll basically be homeschooling out of necessity. That said, doesn't mean we can't make it fun while we're at it! smile

So I'll take your advice (and I also got some great advice via PM as well) and consider all the options. We have plenty of time to plan ahead, so I can enjoy the exploratory stage.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM