Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 124 of 131 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 130 131
    C
    C
    Same here- my kids and I all do this as well. It was weird when we figured out not everyone “sees” the page of a book or notes in their mind. My daughter is particularly good at remembering exactly where in a text a snippet of information is. I have wondered if it is akin to a form of eidetic memory- it’s the main reason we find note-taking useful, because we can retrieve (or “see”) most of what is needed pretty easily. And yes, my kids have strong vs skills as well.

L
    L
    That's amazing to me. I have aphantasia, which means I don't have a mind's eye, can't form mental images, etc. I'd love to be able to remember books and things (study notes!) just by recalling the image. What a gift!

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by LazyMum
    That's amazing to me. I have aphantasia, which means I don't have a mind's eye, can't form mental images, etc. I'd love to be able to remember books and things (study notes!) just by recalling the image. What a gift!
    I'm in between - I have a solid mind's eye but not an eidetic memory. I didn't think that eidetic memories actually existed, to be honest. It was so cool to see him gesturing as though he could see it as clearly as if it were on a computer screen! He literally pointed to each letter as he spelled out the word "window".

It's no wonder human beings are constantly in conflict with one another. This is such a minor example of it but ultimately, we're all stuck seeing the world from our own vantage point/reality, not knowing what other people's worlds are truly like. Though I suppose competing interests might have a role to play in it too. In any case, I digress. smile

N
    N
    RRD, one day I was giving a friend driving directions to a place, and I pulled out a map. She said no, don't give me directions with a map, I'm not a visual thinker, give me turn-by-turn directions. I said, but I AM a visual thinker, I don't know the turn-by-turn directions! We worked it out, though, adding her following behind me lol.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    NB,

That is pretty much an ongoing conversation between my SO and myself regarding directions!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    LazyMum, my husband has aphantasia. It's extremely rare, and tbh I didn't (couldn't) believe him at first because my mind's eye is so extreme.

I can look at anything and then raise it in the air, flip it over, and I can see through things. At times it can be a bad thing to visualise so well.

P
    P
    Oh, the navigating! My husband and son are way off-the-charts visual spatial. I have aphantasia (never knew until a discussion in this forum, thank you folks!). Two years later, they are both still seriously freaked out by my inability - and I'll readily admit, I'm often rather jealous of theirs smile

D
    D
    Originally Posted by RRD
    LOVE the element names as character names!

DS6 may have an interesting thing going on with visualization... He has said before that he sees everything in his head, and I’m starting to think it’s true. Today, he asked me if I could help him zip up his c-o-a-t. I said “That’s some pretty good spelling, DS6.” He is learning French at school, not English at the moment. He replied: “Yeah, I just picture the word in my head and I see how it’s spelled.” And he gave me the example of window, and he was basically gesturing as though he were looking at an invisible screen. Is that a bit odd? Has anyone else experienced this with their DC?

I gave my DD8 a simple algebra problem
    4X + 4 = 2

She solved it without writing it down, and my wife asked her how she did it. DD explained that she did it by manipulating a number line in her head. I can't verify that of course, but I have no real reason to suspect she's lying.

Originally Posted by Platypus101
    Oh, the navigating! My husband and son are way off-the-charts visual spatial. I have aphantasia (never knew until a discussion in this forum, thank you folks!). Two years later, they are both still seriously freaked out by my inability - and I'll readily admit, I'm often rather jealous of theirs smile

I think that goes both ways. As a visual thinker...

- Give me turn-by-turn directions ahead of time, and unless I'm already familiar with most of the roads, you just wasted your breath. I forgot the first turn before you even finished describing the second one.
    - Give me turn-by-turn directions in-transit, and unless I'm already familiar with most of the roads, I'll never find the place again.
    - Give me a chance to look at a map, and not only will I be able to find the place forever, but I'll even be able to ad-lib if there are any obstructions.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Platypus101

I think that goes both ways. As a visual thinker...

- Give me turn-by-turn directions ahead of time, and unless I'm already familiar with most of the roads, you just wasted your breath. I forgot the first turn before you even finished describing the second one.
    - Give me turn-by-turn directions in-transit, and unless I'm already familiar with most of the roads, I'll never find the place again.
    - Give me a chance to look at a map, and not only will I be able to find the place forever, but I'll even be able to ad-lib if there are any obstructions.
    Interesting! By way of contrast, give me turn-by-turn directions ahead of time and I plot them on a visual map in my mind. That way, I can refer back to it as I go along.

I love exchanging like this. I actually wish part of this forum were designated just for "chatting" like this. We are in a pretty good place for our DSs right now, so I don't "need" to come on here. And since I don't have that much experience, I can't contribute that much. But I love this sort of stuff and I wish there were more opportunities to just exchange points of view, random thoughts, etc. I am always eager to comment on all posts just to add my two cents' worth/engage in the conversation, but feel like I am too "chatty". I sort of feel like a pest. smile

Page 124 of 131 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM