Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    rioja Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Hi,

Looking for suggestions for what type of professional is the best go-to person for disagreements between parents on educational decisions.

The background info: I have a 7 year old son who has been identified as 2e son (adhd). We had a slew of problems the 1st few years of schooling, but now he seems to be doing better. I'm hopeful it stays that way and this ultimately becomes a non-issue. But....

I am in the middle of a very ugly, toxic separation from his father. I have no need to slam my ex but do want to mention that he has time and time again put vindictiveness and spite ahead of what's best for our son. With that in mind, we are in the process of writing up an official Allocation of Parental Responsibility for court. I am trying the best I can to put in protections for my son in case a major decision comes along down the road that we can't come to agreement on.

I had success with convincing the GAL (Guardian ad litem) that a mediator (i.e. attorney with mediation training) would not be the right person to understand my son's specific needs. So....the question then becomes.... who is the right person to render an opinion? Essentially, this would be the person who would make the final decision or recommendation to a judge. Would it be a neuro psychologist, clinical psychologist, education counselor??? Does it matter? Other than adding a requirement that the person must have experience working with the gifted population, is there anything else I should take into consideration.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or any suggestions?

THANKS,

Laura

Ultimately, the person who can make a final decision is the judge. So it sounds like what you're looking for is a qualified, neutral third-party who can evaluate your son and make a recommendation that influences that final decision.

That person could be a clinical psychologist, but it would necessitate several sessions and building a relationship with your DS and an understanding of the family dynamics before they would be qualified to answer.

Have you considered any resources available to your DS now, who have already developed a working relationship with him, as potential advisors? Current teachers, counselors, school psychologists? I would start my search there.

E
    E
    The difficulty with naming a specific person, rather than a title, is that you want this agreement to be able to stand even if he moves to a different school or district, and as he ages to middle school and high school. (With respect to the latter question, I hope you are incorporating ways to be sure his own opinions are taken into account as he gets old enough to have them.)

Are you working with a lawyer on this? I would expect them to have opinions on this question, whose answer might vary locally.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM