Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online high school for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy of Nevada
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (2 invisible), 0 Guests and 219 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ecourt, Hanhols, Kbuzzco, Denise Ketter, seattletg88
    10077 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30 31
    Page 123 of 123 < 1 2 ... 121 122 123
    Topic Options
    #240603 - 11/27/17 08:57 AM Re: Not-really-brag-so-much-as-quirky-anecdote thread [Re: Mana]
    RRD Offline

Originally Posted By: Mana
    Originally Posted By: RRD
    There's some pretty fun stuff going on with DSs these days. Isn't it great to watch them develop? smile

Yes, it is.

I do wish, however, that DD7 would take it easier on reinforcing sustainable living practices.

We get that too! And DS6 also has a very (very!) strong moral compass. He gets it from me, but even I find he can go a bit overboard.

#240682 - 12/08/17 06:01 AM Re: Not-really-brag-so-much-as-quirky-anecdote thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    LazyMum Offline

It's a public holiday today. At 9am I said to DD4.5 'Oh no! You're going to be late for school!'. She looked worried and confused. I laughed and said I was joking, it was still a holiday. So she says sarcastically 'Oh no, Mum! You're going to be late for work!' and starts laughing at me (I have no job). Solid burn, kiddo. They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but I thought it was a pretty smart comeback.

#240897 - 01/04/18 05:43 PM Re: Not-really-brag-so-much-as-quirky-anecdote thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    jckdw Offline

DS9 chatting with same-age cousin: "Depending on how you look at it, 1+1 is either a really easy mathematical question or a really difficult philosophical question."

#240991 - 01/12/18 04:11 PM Re: Not-really-brag-so-much-as-quirky-anecdote thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    Michaela Offline

Loc: The bottom of my cup
    It's been forever since I was on here, but today's... um... quirky anecdote was fairly epic.

DS 8yrs has ASD, and doesn't follow fiction all that well, especially when the storytelling is kinda touchy-feely. Lately, he's been having a heck of a time even figuring out which class he's in. Science? Math? English? It all seems a bit murky... and the staff aren't getting it that a kid could actually be having trouble guessing, so they tell him just about anything EXCEPT what the heck is going on (this is how I came to be in the classroom today)

In any case, social studies starts, and the teacher reads a book that keeps talking about the colour of taxi drivers. The book is about a conversation between a mom and a kid about systemic racism, but it never mentions racism or discrimination by name. DS didn't follow.

The teacher was very polite about DS's comment about the reflectivity of black versus white, though, so DS thought he was on the right track... and it was about taxis... moving vehicles and colour, right? He knows where this is going...

DS now explains Doppler shifting to the third grade.

Teacher looks confused.

(I later explained it wasn't science class, and DS came up with some good solid stuff about incarceration rates...)

#240999 - 01/18/18 09:01 AM Re: Not-really-brag-so-much-as-quirky-anecdote thread [Re: Michaela]
    indigo Offline

Fabulous vignette, Michaela, thanks for sharing. As your story illustrates, context exerts huge influence on our interpretation. How difficult for those lacking contextual cues! So glad you could provide context... and enjoy watching his paradigm shift in response to that. smile

Page 123 of 123 < 1 2 ... 121 122 123

Moderator:  Julie, Mark D., Melissa 
    Recent Posts
    ADHD -or- Dyslexia/Dysgraphia?
    by aeh
    Today at 08:05 AM
    Anyone interested in an Art/Math class?
    by ajinlove
    Yesterday at 02:24 PM
    Question/Help/Sugges
    tions

by aeh