Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240965 01/09/18 11:24 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello, I am new to the forum and just wanted some feedback. We had our DC (age 7, 2nd grade) tested and the results were confusing (I am trying to be mindful of the policy). Here was the WISC V breakdown

VC 145 99.8% Extremely High
    Vocab 17 99%
    Similarities 18% 99.6

Visual Spatial 122 93% Very High
    BD 14 91%
    VP 14 91%

FRI 136 99% Extremely High
    MR 16 98%
    FW 17 99%

WMI 103 58% Average
    DS 13 84%
    PS 8 25%
    LS 12 75%

PSI 103 58% Average
    SS 12 75%
    Coding 9 37%

FSIQ 137 99% Extremely High
    GAI 143 99.7% Extremely High

DD was also given some other tests and was given a diagnosis of Unspecified ADHD. It was suggested we discuss advanced academics with the school and placed child in extracurricular activates that are Math orientated as DC likes those.

-There was a note that DC should also be tested for an auditory processing disorder and might also have memory issues. What does that mean? Any suggestions?? We had completed testing because we believed DC was dyslexic and were going to ask for an IEP with the school. Psychologist stated this did not support the dyslexic diagnosis.

DC has always done really well with math, but struggles with reading and writing.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, does the breakdown in the Working memory and processing index mean anything? I am not a psychologist and he (our tester) did not elaborate much on the sub scores.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Not sure which data suggest APD, although it is often a rule-out with attentional issues, so that might be where it's coming from.

Your DC does have relatively lower (average) memory scores, but they follow the same pattern as the reasoning scores, which is, stronger in auditory working memory (paralleling verbal strengths in the EH range), and weaker in visual working memory (paralleling less extreme visual spatial strengths in the VH range).

Processing speed also has a bit of diversity in it, as the fine-motor involved number is lower than that of the motor-reduced task. Have fine motor/occupational therapy assessments been done, e.g., for handwriting skills? That can certainly impact writing. These scores may also reflect automaticity deficits, which may affect both reading and writing. It is also true that either relatively weaker working memory or processing speed may be associated with symptoms of ADHD.

The cognitive data alone are insufficient to rule in/out dyslexia. If you have academic achievement testing that you feel comfortable sharing, that would likely be more informative. (And, one hopes, was the basis of making no dyslexia diagnosis.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Verbal comprehension is the highest score. I don't think that's consistent with APD, unless the score significantly drops in larger groups. How is DDs reading comprehension?

N
    N
    Huh.. My DD has ADHD with some APD characteristics, but her WMI profile is drastically different from yours. Mine had DS 7 16% and PS 16 98% (so 3 SD difference between auditory and visual working memory). I could be wrong, but I thought that relatively high Digit Span would suggest decent auditory processing.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Not necessarily. There are different aspects of auditory processing, such as auditory discrimination, auditory attention, and auditory memory. An auditory processing disorder could be a deficit in any aspect of auditory processing.

Here's a nice simplified explanation for the lay reader:

http://www.nacd.org/auditory-processing-what-is-it-hearing-vs-processing/

Here's a more technical summary from ASHA:

http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Understanding-Auditory-Processing-Disorders-in-Children/

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM