Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    RRD #235170 12/01/16 11:11 AM
    L
    L
    Came across this Engineering Gift Guide from Purdue, very nice collection on building engineering creativity for a broad range of ages.

https://engineering.purdue.edu/INSPIRE/EngineeringGiftGuide/2016-Engineering-Gift-Guide.pdf

RRD #235442 12/12/16 12:29 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Our boys love most building toys (Lego, Magformers, straws and connectors, zoobs)...
    We have enjoyed our purchases from Planetizen. Kids' page here.

aquinas #235445 12/12/16 01:18 PM
    R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Ooh, we did the book advent calendar two years ago! It can get a little expensive, so every second day I substituted in some second-hand magazines that DS enjoyed, which I had bought second-hand at about 10 cents per issue.

RRD--have you tried the "Notebook of Doom" series yet? Or "Data Set"?
    I have a few decent sources for used books, so I got a mix to bring down the cost a bit. And yes, we've tried the Notebook of Doom and though they liked it, they found it a bit too scary. We've been working on it, but they get scared at the slightest thing in books or tv/movies. Haven't tried Data Set yet, but it would probably be well-received.

And by the way, the books have been a huge success! DS6 (almost 7) announced that he preferred the book advent calendar over the Lego City advent calendar. I almost got teary, I was so happy. smile

As for the suggestions for gift ideas, they're all terrific. I particularly love the Engineering Gift Guide. And that reminds me, DS6 has been engrossed in their Snap Circuits Jr set for the past week and has been whipping things together without looking at the instructions. Maybe it's time to get them a more advanced set!

RRD #235530 12/15/16 04:37 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by RRD
    I love toy recommendations that come with a parental endorsement. I love lists too, but I get a little lost with them (I want to get everything recommended).
    Today's crowd-sourced parental endorsements become tomorrow's lists...
    the lists available today are the collected parental endorsements of the past. smile

RRD #240895 01/04/18 06:13 PM
    M
    M
    Hello, new to the Forum. My 9yo has recently decided he wants to go into the field of Rngineering and requested a circuit board as the only thing he wanted for Christmas. He liked the snap circuit set we got him but explained kindly that he was looking for something where he could work with the �insides� of the items. He doesn�t just want to snap a hints together he wants to see how the wires and chips are out together to make the speakers and lights and fans. So I guess the snap circuits are a little too basic. Any suggestions out there? I�m not sure where to direct him.

Momrocks #240967 01/10/18 03:44 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Momrocks
    He doesn’t just want to snap a hints together he wants to see how the wires and chips are out together to make the speakers and lights and fans. So I guess the snap circuits are a little too basic. Any suggestions out there? I’m not sure where to direct him.

Take a look at Arduino, and maybe Raspberry Pi. Also, Amazon has a ton of small circuit kits you can build with some basic soldering and wiring.

RRD #240971 01/11/18 04:19 AM
    X2 on Raspberry Pi and Arduino boards.

Also a soldering iron, solder and some some put-it-together-yourself kits may be fun.

Look at RadioShack.com and sparkfun.com for some ideas - the latter site is a lot more than just an online store.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by madeinuk; 01/11/18 04:19 AM.

Become what you are
    RRD #241454 02/26/18 07:23 PM
    N
    N
    Just wanted to give a recommendation for ManCrates. I gave a Puzzle Crate to DS for his 19th birthday. The puzzles were a lot of fun involving codes, visual puzzles, math, and some flexible and creative I thinking. Of course, opening the crate was better than the gift inside the box, but isn't the box always the best part lol?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM