Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Well, so far so good. From what I have been able to pull out of DS and teachers, he is adjusting seamlessly to his 5th-grade math. With some tweaking, his schedule works out... okay. (he does miss the last 15 minutes (1.5 hr. math class) every day to make it to his lunch. He has been grouped with two other GT kids in the class and appears to continue to outperform (as was expected).

We have our pt conf. next week and I think I will push for him to resume pullout enrichment (w/5th gr kids). I can see no reason why we would wait until Dec to figure this out.

School finally figured out how they will test him above grade to find his ceiling. First step will be enVision 6th grade end of year test to see how he does. Incremental progress I guess...

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Dude
    With that said, kids often enjoy enrichment activities, and it makes the school week more bearable, but I don't often find that they're learning critical skills in there (I'd love to hear examples of the opposite). Given that they're already open to fixing this in a couple of months, I wouldn't necessarily make this my hill to die on. It might be worth saving some of your political capital to spend on other things later.

I thought this initially, but apparently, my DS, who grade accelerated in late elementary and did enrichment or extension pull-out 2-3x weekly in the new grade level, ended up accelerating an additional year in math, then still found pre-algebra wasn't much new, so his GT teacher was evidently giving the kids exposure to advanced material. Whether and how much it sticks is up to the kid, I'm sure.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    This is kind of what I am hoping can happen. I know DS is above a 5th-grade level and hopefully, during enrichment, he will have an opportunity to show that and be appropriately challenged.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I am happy to say that DS has been able to go with the 5th-grade students for enrichment since about mid-October. We requested to end the trial period and resume enrichment after parent-teacher conferences left no doubt the SSA was the right move. DS was very excited. He has also been put in a smaller group of high performing kids (3 or 4) in his math class, which helps. I am starting to sense though, that the class is moving too slowly for him and we will need to go through this all over again... ugh!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM