Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    pdxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi everyone - We are long time DYS’s and next year our kid ages out. Nick is now 17, a junior in high school and wow I’m not sure where the time has gone.

I really thought the newborn stage of raising a baby was challenging. And honestly the toddler stage was a breeze, potty training and all. Elementary school and junior high went by awfully fast. Finally high school presents itself with challenges I didn’t even expect.

The whole profoundly gifted thing after all wasn’t really a thing after all, just like our son being on the spectrum. It is just a part of who he is and we wouldn’t want him any other way.

So now this kid is 17 and as much as I would love for him to attend college in Oregon that is just not gonna happen. He wants to go away for college – experience college life and be independent – and I am all for that. Really I am - but am I ready. Not on your life.

It’s like I’ve literally turned around from walking him into the first day of preschool and now he’s 17.

The basket on my dining room table is chalked full of brochures from all these colleges that have received his PSAT scores. They are like used car salesman - vultures in a sense, swooping down and proclaiming “pick me! Pick me!” I look at them every day and then I just have to put them down because I’m not really ready to wrap my head around any of this.

He’s decided that music is no longer his major – did you hear my heart breaking all the way from Oregon? I just anticipated that he would major in music and be a composer and professor in music. But no.

Our election affected him in ways that are almost indescribable.
    The young woman that was raped on the Stanford campus affected him deeply.
    The rampant racism throughout the United States, the injustices that immigrants in endure.
    The gun violence we experience here in America, what we are not doing for our houseless individuals, mentally ill individuals, our children, and our drug problem weighs heavily on this 17-year-olds mind every single day.
    The conversations around here have been very deep and heavy.
    My kid wants to make a difference in the world, and help represent others, advocating be there voice when they can’t do it for themselves.

So he’s become deeply committed at the tender age of 17 to be involved in civil rights, constitutional law, and five voice to those who can’t for themselves.

He and his dad are going to make their trips out to these colleges, check them out and evaluate them. And then he’s going to apply to the following-

Harvard,
    University of Pittsburgh,
    University of Pennsylvania,
    University of Chicago,
    University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, (first pick)
    NYU,
    University of Wisconsin – Madison,
    Georgetown, (2nd pick)
    Columbia,

His back up plan is the University of Washington if he doesn’t get into any of the above. But I have the sneaking suspicion he’s going to get until one of the colleges above.

I am twisting his arm to apply at Stanford because he’s already attended there twice, has an in, and interestingly enough they offer the best financial help.

I know you moms and dads who have kids that are aging out and getting ready for college can totally relate to this post.

For all you new incoming parents – welcome aboard, put on your seatbelt and get ready for the ride of your lives. The Adventure is just beginning.

Trust me when I tell you this – half the stuff you find yourself worrying about right now really is not gonna be a big deal later.

I’m going to really try to be more than a lurker this next year to give back everything I’ve learned from this group.

Take care ❤️❤️

This is happening too fast. Way too fast. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Last edited by pdxmom; 01/04/18 12:48 PM.
    C
    C
    We wish you well in this next phase. I'm not sure I am looking forward to a few years from now or actually dreading it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM