Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #240867 01/04/18 09:41 AM
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Inspired by RRD's "How are the parents doing?" thread, I thought I'd kick off a discussion of the MBTI typology to see if there are any patterns here among regular posters, because some personality "types" map more closely to OEs than others.

(Full disclosure: I acknowledge the limitations inherent to the MBTI tool; this is just for fun! If people like, we can do OCEAN or another metric later...)

For anyone who doesn't know their type, here is a quick and free online eval:
    https://www.16personalities.com/

Here's a quick summary of the 16 "types" for comparison's sake:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ggsTypes.png/1200px-MyersBriggsTypes.png

I'm an ENTJ.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    ENTP.

I would expect that the third letter is pretty common around here, but let's see what the data says.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Can't wait to try it out! Will be back with results later.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Can't wait to try it out! Will be back with results later.

Yay!

C
    C
    INTJ - I am currently taking a break from plotting the takeover of the world.

C
    C
    ENTJ, although it once came up as ENTP. Basically, difficult to live with and not necessarily understood at work. ;-)

K
    K
    ENTP, though I'm a very weak "E"

C
    C
    Maybe I'm just having a bad stretch, but I took the online version and came out an INTP-A. Weird. Or maybe not so weird.

S
    S
    I got infj (-t). But the other than the I, all the other scores were 51 (the f) to 56%. I thought it described me quite well, but likely they all do (like a horoscope I assume, didn't read the rest though). Overall my scores most likely just mean I'm bland smile I'm very introverted though, but I already knew that.

A
    A
    I'm an INTJ.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I'm an INFP-A, but have consistently (for years, on multiple versions of the MBTI, including 16personalities--which, btw, is also my go-to free online version, when recommending to others) scored with only slight preferences in each of the primary categories. As part of my general policy of confounding expectations, you know. smile

There do appear to be a lot of -NT-s posting, so far. And not one S. Out of our massive single-digit sample. wink

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    E
    With the caveat that I consider the MBTI to be the modern version of the horoscope, I think the most recent time I took it I was INTP. But only the N is stable - the other three have all flip-flopped over the years.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    ENFP! I'm one of the few Fs on here. Though I'm not surprised that I'm an F, as I've always been one with "big emotions" and I am very much guided by them (often to my detriment and that of others).

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by RRD
    ENFP! I'm one of the few Fs on here. Though I'm not surprised that I'm an F, as I've always been one with "big emotions" and I am very much guided by them (often to my detriment and that of others).

I often score on the cusp of T/F, so I could probably fly under the radar as an ENFJ.

A
    A
    INTP-T (97% I, 89% N, 88% T, 79% P, 85% T), but personality "types" are not supported by data to the same extent as trait-based models.
    The best description I've heard of the MBTI, especially the online knockoffs that most people wind up taking, is "astrology for nerds."

"The thing that doesn't fit is the most interesting."
    -Richard Feynman
    I
    I
    Not a fan. I've always thought of these as a bit of junk science, as I noticed that for most people the answers changed readily based on currents events and influences in their lives at the moment... much like taking a quiz in a teen magazine.

However I've worked for companies that spent vast sums on "training" which seemed to do little more than peg people and subsequently treat them not as individuals based on their actual actions and contributions but rather as stereotypes of their results, painting them with a broad brush. For example, annual reviews based not on actual behavior but on statements which sounded like the employer acting as thought-police: "People like you will..."

I'm also aware of companies which required these tests as part of the interview process despite the fact that the MBTI website* states that it is UNETHICAL to use their test as a recruiting or selection tool.

In the US, public schools are increasingly moving toward "social-emotional" learning and recording data from various measures of students, similar to the MBTI. We're told this is being done in the name of SAFETY... supposedly to predict behavioral tendencies and potential future behavior. I believe this is a dangerous trend and usurps citizen rights, guaranteed by the Constitution's Bill of Rights. People are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law... not until someone dislikes them, is suspicious of them, etc.

= - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =
    * From the WayBack Machine, Internet Archive -
    ...https://web.archive.org/web/20190717083440/https://www.mbtionline.com/AbouttheMBTI
    MBTI (R) MYTH: THE MBTI ASSESSMENT IS A RECRUITING AND SELECTION TOOL
    It is unethical to use the MBTI tool for hiring. Completing the assessment must be voluntary (not required of job applicants), and the results are confidential and belong to the respondent. Furthermore, people of many different types excel at the same job for different reasons. Individuals should not be pigeonholed based on their personality preferences.

H
    H
    INTJ, but I'm almost on the half-line between INTJ and INTP.

A
    A
    INTP-T. Sp/so 5w6 on the Enneagram. Also HSP (possibly misdiagnosed as ASD).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM