Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #24079 08/27/08 09:18 AM
    S
    Shar Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Is it common for a school district to have no policy in place on acceleration of grade levels. The only policy my son's district seem to have is that their policy is they do not skip children up, period. Is this common or unusual? I will later explain my problem but i wanted to see if any of you have come across this. It seems strange to not even have an evaluation procedure but to just say its "not our policy" The reason behind it is that they would have other children that are intelligent and have high standardized test scores to follow suit and make the same request. I am like well wouldn't that be a good thing and not a deterrent???

Please advise with your thoughts. All feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Shar #24085 08/27/08 09:32 AM
    Val Offline
    This is common in public schools; private schools are more open to grade skipping.

Ex. Last year I was frustrated with my son's situation and called a public school that's down the road from us about a mile. We're just outside the boundaries for this school, but we're close, and I'd been told it was a great school. I talked to the principal and he told me he was against the idea on principle. He didn't ask about my son's academic abilities, but he did make sure to ask if I let him play outside and implied that I was doing nothing but forcing him to learn mathematics and spelling. Argh.

Val

Shar #24086 08/27/08 09:37 AM
    E
    E
    Shar,
    From my experience it is very common to have no formal policy about grade skips but an informal written in blood on a stone policy that it can not be allowed. Lots of persistence and squeaky wheel syndrome may help smile
    Good Luck smile

Our district has a procedure for acceleration but it is lengthy, convoluted and not publicized in any way. Our principal seems to have glossed over a few steps for DS.

B
    B
    Maybe its a regional thing but in the south texas in particualr grade skips required only that a child prove exceptional. A gifted child warranted a tranfer into a more challenging programs and sometimes more challenging school. i have found this to be true in VA, MD, and PA as well.

What constitutes "exceptional" though? Is that detailed in the procedure?

Kriston
    Yes, I have to admit, I can't believe it's all that easy...I e-know too many people from those states who have been through the wringer!

Kriston
    yes, we decided we'd rather not send our children through the wringer, it's just not healthy! wink

Plus they come out all flat and dry...

Kriston
    Nice one Kriston...

DW said to me the other night ... how did she put it ... DS is going to be viewed in a particular light because he skipped K (first in our SD). So he's going to have to do everything better than everyone else just to prove that he belongs there. Not unlike how others who have been discriminated against for race or gender have had to do countless times in the past. Prove that they weren't handed a gift...

JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM