Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
    Originally Posted by kikiandkyle
    What's interesting is that my mom is exactly the same, and has flitted through various colleges and careers but never seen any of them through. My sister however, who was given up for adoption at birth, ended up getting a phd and has a research career that she loves. I guess nurture really does trump nature.

Siblings can be very different by nature, so I wouldn't rush to judgement on the nurture factor.

K
    K
    We're actually extremely similar in a lot of ways, there are 6 of us altogether and she's the only one with any kind of college degree or career even though we all had the potential.

This post/thread has really been interesting!

I know I for one would love to hear from the younger generation regarding what worked (or didn't work) for them when they were going through primary and secondary school. Personally, we are just wading through, trying this and that, in an attempt to help our daughters the best we can and we feel like we aren't doing enough or the right things. Any suggestions from a generation that has more recently "been there done that" would be whole-heartedly welcomed!

A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'm stunned how popular this thread got. I'm the original poster.

It's been four years since I posted this. I've now graduated; I have a bachelor's degree in biology, graduated with honors and a 3.69, and have a publication. I'm heading toward a PhD still.

It hasn't gotten much better, to be honest (I mean, it has somewhat but it's still not easy), but I've found some directions in which to look. The trick is getting back in the game - I'm presently in the awkward position of having to wait a year to start graduate school, so I need a lab tech job to tide me over.

It's not easy.

W
    W
    Time really does fly. Yeah, we agree - it is not easy.

Any ideas that you have to help education of all of the children and gifted kids are helpful.

School has mainly been fun and social so far.

We even worry about the non-gifted children not realizing that the gifted kids can get up to speed on any topic unbelievably fast. It feels like there is no way to help the non-gifted kids along the way. They can't tell or see that school is too easy compared to what the human brain can do. If you can't rely on your brain to make a living, perhaps that is when young people get into trouble making their livings in other ways and it hurts the whole society, too.

So, please post any educational ideas that you have. Thanks.

Congratulations and well done.

W
    W
    Try to really be in every moment, follow your instincts and see how things line up. Use that naturally analytical mind. Keep putting yourself exactly where you truly want to be and that's how you know you are on the right path. You line up the you that you know better than anyone else with what you are supposed to be doing next. It sounds like you are on the right path. That's great!

Not to spell it out too much or to be too obvious, pay attention to how things do or do not work out according to plan. Sometimes, time has to pass in order to see the bigger picture, but, focus on those gut feelings that you get and let them guide you. It's possible you'll find over decades that you can trust your feelings and instincts. Knowing that when you are young can be a huge advantage.

E
    E
    Im very proud that things are working out for you. smile cool

My advise to you is join a secret society or form one with people who speak the same language as yourself. Trying to deal with the rest of the world is unhealthy, and to put it bluntly they are not worth your time considering the agony they have put you through. What ever you bring to the realm of human progress you deserve to be recognized, and certainly you deserve to have that appreciated. I have great respect for people who dedicate their life to creating anything beautiful.

I did read your original post and not to upset you are spot on. IMO what makes it worse are the very institutions that use a mission statement only as a feel good advertisement. Little substance backs it up, I know this because I have seen it first hand.

I thank you for taking the time to type this up. I hope you stay around this forum, you sound like you have a lot to contribute IMO.

Thanks for being part of this forum smile

T
    T
    What kept me alive:
    - Chopin
    - Nisargadatta
    - Ketamine

Dabrowski is also worth investigating.

L
    L
    Hubby tested at 186 in school, I did a test with a ceiling of 145, which I hit. Neither of us did anything remotely academic with our lives. We're very happy and well adjusted. We value goodness and humour in our friends. We enjoy food. We travel. We watch too much Netflix. I had my existential crisis in my early 20s. I hope that's all you're going through. Here's the conclusion I came too, in case it helps: there is no meaning to life, and people mostly suck, but I'm here, and I'd rather be alive than dead, and while I'm alive I can surround myself with things that I enjoy, and people who don't suck. Hope life gets cheerier for you smile

L
    L
    Is there such a thing as a forum for gifted adults (that’s free)? All I can find are for parents with gifted children. I see things I struggle with are discussed here, though spanning over some years, I see.

I feel that for me the issue isn’t so much about whether others are “morons” or not, but this devastating isolation. I can give myself mental stimulation by reading, writing, etc., but nothing compares to the experience of being nurtured by evolving with like-minded people. I am increasingly shying away from social situations because not only is it one-dimensional (and it’s uncomfortable to feel that way about other people) but also there is a lot of power games, which is an utter waste of time, stupid, and in order to maintain any social contacts on peaceful terms, I find myself making myself appear stupider than them so that they won’t get competitive with me. Otherwise people regard me as some sort of a mentor. These are people who consider themselves creatives and intellectuals. I don’t consider myself such a smart person, I rather want to be guided and taught, but above all be equal to the others. It’s such a paradoxical feeling, exhausting.

Even my psychotherapist, who is not a bad therapist generally, unwittingly says things that are deflating, discouraging, and sometimes even insulting. I understand where he is coming from, it’s probably just that he is not the right therapist for people like me. He also thinks that I have a paranoia of *feeling* like I am always misunderstood. I don’t think it’s a “feeling”…

Who feels that a day is too short to read all the books and make music and experience nature and watch news and learn a language and ruminate over trivial things in their lives to magnify and expand their inner worlds, and then get paralysed by the avalanche of visions? Who feels that we are here with a purpose, no matter how small and hidden, and are driven to extend beyond personal fulfilment and contribute to the excellence of human civilisation? Who feels that humanity has not given itself enough words and wants to simply let themselves drop in the middle of a room at the impossibility of our existence? Where are the people with inspirations running through their veins?

I feel suffocated. It’s like I accidentally trapped myself in an upside down world. And the worst is when I convince myself that I am crazy.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM