Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    geofizz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Has your district ruled out dysgraphia? It seems remedial instruction from an OT to address your concerns would make sense and not be terribly time consuming or use too much in the way of resources. I just ran the question by DD and she feels strongly they have to determine if he's actually dysgraphic. "If he's dysgraphic it's not going to make any difference for him." Just a bit of btdt advice from one 2e kid to another...

Can I say how much I love this? Please let her know for me that I really value her input. The school psych is in two minds about the dysgraphia dx. He has some of the hallmarks of dysgraphia but not all. Then again, she recognizes that he compensates mightily. But your DD is absolutely thinking in the way I am: we need to know if he can learn to hand write before sinking a lot of time and effort (and inevitable tears) into all this.

I did a lot of calling around and calling in favors in the last few days, and I found an OT that seems like she's keen to meet a 2e kid and will devise a way to evaluate the hypotheses at hand: (1) his handwriting is a result of missed educational opportunity due to skipping 1st grade or (2) he has dysgraphia.

But wow, the "middle schoolers can't learn handwriting" concept is rampant. I had a few snippy phone calls with OTs where clearly I was unaccepting of reality. Hopefully the OT I found can give us a path forward.

DS is also devising his own version of Handwriting Without Tears with remarkably clear goals -- heavy on the motivational peppermint patties and drawing strongly on his experience as a violinist. He wants his handwriting to be legible at a moderate writing pace - fast enough he can keep a sentence in his head. I'm going to do it his way to start because he has a plan. For all this, he's been the one most able to predict what will and won't work, so who knows, maybe we'll get somewhere.

Now off to buy a huge bag of Yorks...

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Now off to buy a huge bag of Yorks...
    I am totally on board with any motivational plan that involves Yorks!

And seriously,..I would not be surprised if his self-knowledge and determination deliver results.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM