Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240366 11/06/17 11:00 PM
    E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Recently my DS9's therapist wants him to be tested again for ADD. He was tested for it in 2nd grade and ADD was ruled out. Currently, DS9 is doing very well academically in school working above grade level in both reading and math. His teacher put him on a learning plan so he can work ahead at his own pace in math and reading. However, he is slow to complete his work (especially art projects and writing) and does not do well on simple timed tests. He has been this way all through school. Kinda of absent minded. The teacher did not seem concerned at conference. He does struggle with social issues due to possible ASD and anxiety at school. Recently, he is spending one recess inside reading as part of an adjustment on his 504 which has helped him be less stressed at the end of the day. Does being slower in completing work indicate a problem with attention? Is this testing really necessary? I feel like he already has enough diagnoses.

Eskes #240385 11/08/17 10:17 AM
    P
    P
    Being slower in work suggests a problem in something, which may or may not be attention.

My DS looked an awful lot like this at age 9. He's now 13, and things that were minor issues then became massive issues when he entered a middle school gifted program with a ton of complex writing demands. It was the difference between being slow and a bit of a space cadet when younger, to now being unable to get any writing task done in a remotely reasonable amount of time. Attention deficits play a huge part in this, but we're pretty sure there's all sorts of other things at work too (like probably expressive language).

So I would say you want to keep a really close eye on things over time, but as to whether more testing/ diagnosis is necessary right now, that really depends on a lot of factors. Is his slowness completing work, or his trouble controlling his attention, contributing to his anxiety or frustration? Do you see changes in behaviour that might reflect increases in underlying anxiety (e.g. in sleep, eating, socializing, or more sensitive/ reactive)? Does he miss things he wants because he is too slow or wasn't paying attention (for instance, friends leave without him because he takes too long to get ready; or he misses a desired school activity because he didn't notice the announcement; or he starts to feel like there is something wrong with him because other kids can easily do things he is struggling with?) Has he been checked for fine motor issues before? (the areas you mention could be fine motor as much as attention).

With 2E kids, issues tend to drive up the anxiety long before they show up as achievement problems, so it's important to keep an eye on the overall state of the child. And recognize the cause-effect relationship can be less than obvious. And also, that high levels of anxiety can look a whole lot like inattentive ADHD - but that the ADHD can drive up anxiety. It's not easy to sort out whether you are dealing with one, the other, or both.

If anything is giving you cause to worry, then understanding exactly what is slowing him down could be be helpful, sooner rather than later. And given his age, if he is dealing with something specific, then the sooner any accommodations he requires are documented and become standard practice for both him and his teachers, the better. Middle school tends to come with a huge ramp up in the number of teachers, the complexity of assignments, and the assumptions for independent management of work and time. And much more self-consciousness about using new accommodations.

On the other hand, if he is happy and getting the supports he needs with or without an additional diagnosis, than maybe more testing can wait until there is a clear problem - and that may not ever emerge. Also, since ADHD is so commonly co-morbid with ASD, you may find it's already being well-addressed, and may not require a distinct diagnosis. It's always tough finding the line between needed early intervention, and needless creating problems where they don't actually exist. But it's usually good to trust your parental instincts. If all feels well, good. But if something is worrying you, act on it.

E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you Platypus101 for your feedback. I think we will follow up with the ADD testing. He is doing well academically in school but not socially. My husband tonight actually sat and watched him do his homework and he only got one problem completed in 10 minutes. During this time he was up out of his seat, fidgeting, humming, staring off in space and at the end he left his homework when he saw another project to work on nearby. There is something going on.

Eskes #240401 11/09/17 07:33 AM
    T
    T
    Eskes, I think you are wise to follow up with the ADD testing. I have heard from people with kids who have both ADD and ASD that the ADD piece was more debilitating for them socially. ADD could very well be part of the problems for a child with social issues.

Eskes #240457 11/14/17 07:30 AM
    E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    So we just received the teacher's completed questionnaire for ADHD/ADD. She denied DS having any struggles at school including social and reported he was excelling in all academic areas including writing. He has never excelled at writing before so this is good news. The interesting thing is she also said he had no anxiety issues and does fine with peers. I am a little confused as he has no friends and does not speak to any peers. I am wondering if she really knows DS only a few months into the school year. We meet with his therapist again next week to go over the results. Not sure where to go from here. I guess wait and see what the therapist thinks. DS continues to struggle with speed of homework except his online math program. We have noticed that homework with lots repetition is his biggest struggle to complete.

Eskes #240459 11/14/17 11:50 AM
    P
    P
    Would the testing be done through the school? If not is there a teacher outside school who has known him longer - scouts, Sunday School etc (not something that puts him in hyper focus) who could fill out another form?

puffin #240460 11/14/17 10:57 PM
    E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you Puffin. No it is not through the school but I think they usually send the questionares to the teachers. He does not really have activities outside of school that does not put him in hyper focus. He was on team sports which he struggled but he has not been on one in over a year. He has piano and gymnastics which both he is very focused and does well. Gymnastics he engages well with direction from his coach and does not speak at all to team members but does not need to. Maybe an extended family member or his school counselor who have seen him in unstructured social settings might work?

Eskes #240462 11/15/17 07:18 AM
    T
    T
    What about last year's teacher? Or the counselor who oversees the social skill group?

Eskes #240660 12/05/17 11:01 PM
    E
    Eskes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I had a meeting with DS9s therapist last week and he ruled out ADD/ADHD for right now. He said to watch more closely when he goes to middle school. Guessing DS9 is bored with homework as all of it is review for him especially the repetitive math problems. We have discovered he goes real slow when something is boring and he has learned it before. He is doing better on getting his work done in class and does still take longer on projects making them perfect. He continues to lack friends and likes to spend recess in the library reading books. The therapist continues to believe his issues are ASD related.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM