Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Yay, kimck! I think that's the bright side: even when situations are bad, kids can recover if a good situation follows.

Kriston
    E
    E
    Hello all -

Neato, would you mind making a sticky for this part of your post? It is awesome advice for us newbies. Thanks!

- EW
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I will tell you if I could time travel back here are the things I would do:

Had achievement testing at the same time as IQ testing. I didn't understand what those numbers really meant and I don't think a lot of the teachers do anyway. They speak grade level!

Find out all the laws in your state that define gifted programming for the public schools.

Find out all your district's policies on gifted programming. Ours posts the whole darn thing ver batim on the website. I didn't even look at it til last year! duh. (slapping myself on forehead)

Find out who is on your school board. Anyone you know? Anyone have gifted children?

Lastly, I contacted my State Rep's office recently. It's amazing some of the "loopholes" the summer aide dug up for me!!!

As the boyscouts say: Always Be Prepared!

F
    fitzi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Originally Posted by fitzi
    Perhaps I am just taking the counsel of my fears.

Rommel coined this term. In his memoirs he made it clear to distinguish between fears based on nervousness vs fears based upon evidence. The evidence fears MUST be faced and dealt with by actions.

Sounds like your fears are evidence based?

Austin:

BTW, I meant to thank you for providing the source of this quote - I love historical trivia.

Ian

B
    B
    what a great discussion and even though my DS5 is a little younger than some others here we saw some pretty major changes in him concerning his old Montessori preschool...he went from being a pretty happy-go-lucky little kid that would spend hours exploring topics of interest to being a very angry, pent up little boy who didn't want to do anything anymore. He wasn't getting his intellectual or sensory needs meet (he has Sensory Processing Disorder) and the loss of both just about did him in. He was miserable, bored, and his self-esteem really seemed to hit rock bottom...he stopped sleeping and began grinding his teeth at night. We removed him from that setting and within a month, we started to see glimpses of our fun-loving, exploring son. Now that he has started a new school for K, we are getting concerned again because the steps he took getting back to his old self during the summer are going backwards - we are starting to see some of the same things come out again....so we are doing some research about homeschooling options for him.

If I/we can help, just say so. I know how scary that step is, so I'm happy to help if I can.

Kriston
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM