Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    It has come to my attention that our AP Chem is a double credit course - taking up two periods. I am still trying to find out about the other AP Science classes. This phenomenon isn't applicable to APs in Math, English, Social Studies, foreign languages, etc. What gives? Any other schools assigning more than one period to any of their AP Science courses?

Last edited by Quantum2003; 11/10/17 05:17 PM.
    N
    N
    Our district does not, but I've heard of schools that have Physics C Mechanics and E&M as two classes.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    They don't in my son's school, but perhaps they should (give two credits, I mean, not take up two periods, which is ridiculous).

My son is taking "AP Economics" this year, which is granted one credit, but he has to take two AP exams (micro and macro). But AP Physics C Mechanics is also granted one credit and covers only one semester of college material. AB Calc gets one credit, as does BC. But a kid who takes AB one year is allowed to take BC the next and get a second credit, even though they have already taken 2/3 of the course.

Last edited by Kai; 11/10/17 08:31 PM.
    N
    N
    In our school AP Chem and AP Bio are 1.5 periods. Some kids use the other half period to study, relax, practice music, or to come in early to the science classroom. But only 1 credit. (There is a dedicated lunch time,)

N
    N
    AP Chem and AP bio are 1.5 periods. AP Phyics changed this year. They are offering an AP 1 that is one period and an AP 1 and 2 that is 1.5 periods. The 1.5 ones are 1.5 credits. My daughter says that the leftover half can be lunch. There isn't necessarily a dedicated period for lunch.

C
    C
    All of our hs science classes require an additional half period (every other day) for lab, not just the AP sciences, even the accelerated science class in 8th grade. (State regulations about labs are apparently strict, teachers have to keep copies of lab work and lab notebooks for a period of time to prove students have fulfilled this requirement, etc.) And yes, our physics C and E/M class is two periods total, but that includes the lab time. When do your kids ever do labs? I guess if you’re on a block schedule that makes sense, but otherwise it seems like there would not be enough time in one period.

I’m pretty sure they are all only assigned one credit, despite taking up more than one period. And it’s interesting to hear that for Kai’s school AP Econ is one credit- here it’s a half credit, one semester class (most kids we know take both exams). Correction- just realized our Econ class is dual enrollment, so not an AP course, though kids take the exams. So maybe that explains the difference.

In our state, kids are required to take PE every other day, with no exceptions, so that is what is usually scheduled opposite the lab periods. My kids have never had lunch in hs, and don’t know any friends who do, either.

Some of our history AP classes schedule “optional” time after school, for essay writing or additional material, with one teacher scheduling all his exams after school. I’m not sure how this is ok with administration, but it creates tremendous stress, particularly as most of these kids do lots of extracurriculars, which are of course after school.

Reading the other thread about work load was interesting- there is no way any homework is happening during the school day here, and if kids miss class for a music lesson or anything (required weekly to participate in the music program) they have to make it up (including gym, after school). My kids are not super speedy, despite finding the work unchallenging (or maybe because the work is unchallenging), and for them the workload has been quite high. But our kids are admittedly involved in a few time-intensive extracurriculars. Still, one kid, who is a terrible procrastinator, was regularly getting up between 4 and 5 am last year to do homework. Not a good situation.

C
    C
    My son has a two period block for AP Calculus. It was supposed to be BC...so you were to get credit for AB period 1 and BC period 2 and take the BC exam. I guess they want more kids to pass so they are only paying for AB exam this year instead of BC so they changed it to Honor calculus for period 1 and AB for period 2. Gives them more time to work on problems during school.

Also same thing with AP physics...but mainly so they can complete labs. 2 period block.

N
    N
    Got a recommendations email sent to all parents on the chemistry class. Teach explained their is a one period and a one half period class earning 1 and 1.5 credits. She said the 1 period one is half the work than the 1.5 period and there is a lot more homework. Though in the 1.5 period you can take 2 AP tests instead of 1.

M
    M
    Same here, extra time a couple times a week slotted for labs. I was under the understanding that it was only for the IB program but there seems to be a blur in the actual IB/AP courses. Some are labeled AP/IB. We will see when the time comes.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    One of the main reason that DD is skipping GT Chem is because AP Chem is two periods.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM