Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240357 11/04/17 06:49 PM
    OP Offline
    In the past, you have helped me in our local area. I tried to PM you, but Davidson Database isn't allowing you more PM's. (really??)

Please contact me via my recent thread..."Death Threats in Public School-Homeschoolers HELP!"

---
    As you can see that is no longer an option. I'm guessing this thread will also be closed.

We have placed our child with the same school you had your daughter. I just wanted to see if you had any advice.

Ametrine #240410 11/09/17 04:02 PM
    OP Offline
    Quoting BC3...

Good point about how suspicions could possibly be cast on innocent GT students.

But I don't think the OP intended to imply that bringing weapons to school was somehow justified. The key word is "feel", that was used in her question, "Is it any wonder kids feel the need to bring weapons to school for protection?" So she is suggesting that the feeling may be justified, not actually bringing weapons in.

I am certainly against kids bringing weapons to school, but think it's an important question to address. Everyone is entitled to their feelings, and if kids truly feel this way, it shouldn't be denied. The question it leads to is really - how do we create and support school environments so kids don't feel this way? At least that's how I interpreted it.

---

You're completely right. I quoted you here because I wasn't given the opportunity to clarify for Indigo what I meant by my statement.

Kids should NEVER, I say again, NEVER bring weapons to school.

I meant that they, as young as they are and still learning how to deal with life when and adult isn't helping, may FEEL that the only way in which to protect themselves is by keeping a weapon on them.

They are YOUNG and making YOUNG decisions. I in no way ever said that their logic was justified or correct in civilized society.

Ametrine #240411 11/09/17 04:17 PM
    M
    M
    I'm locking this thread also.

Private messaging has not been shut down and is working fine.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM