Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Fair point, Val, and as a technologist who devours history and current events, I couldn't agree more. The Inc article did talk about the need for collaboration and communication in STEM, and that part was spot-on.

In fact, this bit sounds a lot like that hiring search my company recently conducted, which I mentioned here:

In fact, Taso Du Val, CEO of Toptal, an outsourcing firm that focuses on the world's most elite technology talent told me that when his company evaluates programmers, they not only look at technical skills, but put just as much emphasis on communication skills, initiative and teamwork.

Not sure how being a poet helps, though. wink

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    As we've established that a large component of ability is genetically pre-determined, talent is relatively blind to economic starting conditions. (For follow-on responses to my post: let's agree to set some of the tired social Darwinist tropes to rest, please.)
    You don't get to dictate what viewpoints others express on a forum, and it is not polite to use pejoratives to label their views. I think the parts of your sentence are contradictory, since intelligent parents tend to earn more and also to have more intelligent children.

And this is exactly why the gifted lobby has difficulty gaining mainstream traction. If we're tone deaf to the needs of society at large and expound a fatalistic view of social class, our perspectives are viewed as elitist and wrong-headed, and subsequently ignored, however much merit gifted parent advocates' arguments may hold.

We are here in service of our own children, to be sure. But, more importantly, we are contributing to a discussion intended to forward the broader interests of those gifted children who lack a parental voice in their corner. And, though we may differ in our views as to the degree to which environment versus genetics drives ability, that we agree that environment plays at least a significant minority role necessitates a discussion of how to move the needle on environment, which is the subject of this thread.

So yes, I will reiterate my pre-emptive general request that we, as a community, not allow this thread to devolve as so many others before it have.

But I thank you for pointing out a missing word in my earlier post which would cause confusion--"a large component of ability is not genetically determined." That was my error.

Last edited by aquinas; 11/03/17 01:31 PM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    As we've established that a large component of ability is genetically pre-determined, talent is relatively blind to economic starting conditions. (For follow-on responses to my post: let's agree to set some of the tired social Darwinist tropes to rest, please.)
    You don't get to dictate what viewpoints others express on a forum, and it is not polite to use pejoratives to label their views. I think the parts of your sentence are contradictory, since intelligent parents tend to earn more and also to have more intelligent children.

She asked politely. I don't know why it's beyond you to show a little respect. Your views have certainly been afforded more respect than they genuinely deserve.

Be kind. Bostonian cannot help being Bostonian.

T
    T
    I keep wanting to comment on the original topic, but whenever I get around to thinking up what I have to say, the website is down!

For those who were missing a rubric with the new mastery transcript: there is one on http://www.mastery.org/a-new-model/ .
    Only it won’t clear things up much, because (according to the organisation) it only “captures our best thinking for now”,and finalising it is what they exist for, and there will be “no standardisation of content”. Every school gets to invent their own performance areas, rubric etc.

Right. Still not sure what your job is, then, but if that is you best thinking for now, I am not impressed. So a school is supposed to certify mastery of, a long other stuff, “develop flexibility, agility, and adaptability”, “bring a sense of courage to unfamiliar situations”, “sustain an empathetic and compassionate outlook”.

Oh look, there is content, too. Students might show mastery of “understanding traditional and emerging topics in maths, science, technology, environmental sciences, robotics, fractals, cellular automata, nanotechnology and biotechnology”.

Wow. Just wow. I call DRIVEL. Makes me nostalgic for the good old times of “calculus: B”.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I keep wanting to comment on the original topic, but whenever I get around to thinking up what I have to say, the website is down!

For those who were missing a rubric with the new mastery transcript: there is one on http://www.mastery.org/a-new-model/ .
    Only it won’t clear things up much, because (according to the organisation) it only “captures our best thinking for now”,and finalising it is what they exist for, and there will be “no standardisation of content”. Every school gets to invent their own performance areas, rubric etc.

Right. Still not sure what your job is, then, but if that is you best thinking for now, I am not impressed. So a school is supposed to certify mastery of, a long other stuff, “develop flexibility, agility, and adaptability”, “bring a sense of courage to unfamiliar situations”, “sustain an empathetic and compassionate outlook”.

Oh look, there is content, too. Students might show mastery of “understanding traditional and emerging topics in maths, science, technology, environmental sciences, robotics, fractals, cellular automata, nanotechnology and biotechnology”.

Wow. Just wow. I call DRIVEL. Makes me nostalgic for the good old times of “calculus: B”.

Apparently admissions officers can click on the transcript to see examples of the students work (see link below.
    Schools develop a new type of transcript

Sounds similar to the digital portfolios students are expected to submit by the Coalition for Access, Affordability and Success.
    Admissions Revolution

T
    T
    May 2017 article on Mastery Transcript...

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...-kill-traditional-transcripts-and-change

Let me know when the Ivy League adopts it. (Speaking of which, https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...inancial-aid_us_5a29c60fe4b073789f687aa6)

Offhand I don't see why admissions officers want a new subjective measure. Tests, grades, class-rank, imperfect as they are, provide some objective measure across all schools and applicants. Indeed, an objective measure on which the gifted excel.

See also https://www.amazon.com/Price-Admission-Americas-Colleges-Outside/dp/1400097975 We're outnumbered 1000:1 and is the Mastery Transcript another way to move the goalposts on us.

More food for thought... http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/

Last edited by thx1138; 12/11/17 10:11 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM