Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240268 10/27/17 09:00 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Recently a teaching assistant at the University of Pennsylvania stated
    “I will always call on my Black women students first. Other [people of color] get second tier priority. [White women] come next. And, if I have to, white men.”
    An article at National Review notes that this technique, called "progressive stacking" has been defended by several academics and that
    UPenn Arts and Sciences Dean Steven Fluharty acknowledged that “we are looking into the current matter,” but no condemnation has so far been issued.
    I don't want to send my children to a place that tolerates such discrimination by the faculty, even if they are not members of the targeted groups.

Q
    Q
    I can see giving priority to students who hesitate to speak, who may not feel as empowered to broadcast their opinions/thoughts. If that happens to fall along racial and gender lines, then some encouragement may be warranted in specific cases. There are certainly loud students who dominate discussions without advancing the discourse and the class as a whole may well benefit from hearing less from them. However, to blindly adhere to a pre-established hierarchy without regard to the actual students in a particular class would rarely advance the discourse. I do find troubling her quoted statement that she only calls on white men "if I have to" as that not only amounts to discrimination but robs the class of ideas that should also be heard.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    I can see giving priority to students who hesitate to speak, who may not feel as empowered to broadcast their opinions/thoughts. If that happens to fall along racial and gender lines, then some encouragement may be warranted in specific cases. There are certainly loud students who dominate discussions without advancing the discourse and the class as a whole may well benefit from hearing less from them. However, to blindly adhere to a pre-established hierarchy without regard to the actual students in a particular class would rarely advance the discourse. I do find troubling her quoted statement that she only calls on white men "if I have to" as that not only amounts to discrimination but robs the class of ideas that should also be heard.
    Agreed! smile Well said, Quantum2003.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Recently a teaching assistant at the University of Pennsylvania stated
    “I will always call on my Black women students first. Other [people of color] get second tier priority. [White women] come next. And, if I have to, white men.”
    An article at National Review notes that this technique, called "progressive stacking" has been defended by several academics and that
    UPenn Arts and Sciences Dean Steven Fluharty acknowledged that “we are looking into the current matter,” but no condemnation has so far been issued.
    I don't want to send my children to a place that tolerates such discrimination by the faculty, even if they are not members of the targeted groups.

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM