Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240216 10/24/17 11:31 AM
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all,
    My dd7 took the Wisc v yesterday and it lasted 2 hours straight with no breaks. The tester said it normally only takes an hour to an hour and a half. She was complaining she was tired which may have affected her processing speed but tester said she still got the questions right. He said it took so long because she is young and he had to start off with very easy questions, unlike older kids where he starts the questions at a higher level. Has any one else experienced this with their kids? She sat through the whole thing but was whistling and singing while answering the questions. Would this affect her score? Should the tester have divided the test into 2 one hr sessions?

Merlin #240218 10/24/17 12:52 PM
    A
    A
    Merlin,

I am no expert in the WISC testing, I am just speaking from my experience with my DS8's testing. He was close to 7 years old when he took the test. It took him almost an hour and a half to complete the test, without a break. He only took the first 5 subtests. The tester offered a break between the 3rd and 4th, but he declined so they kept going. Also the more right answers you give, the more questions you'll get and the test will last longer.

Merlin #240222 10/24/17 06:04 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The median time to complete the seven core subtests of the WISC-V is usually under an hour. If you add the three subtests necessary to derive the five primary indices, then it usually runs right about an hour. If you also give supplementary subtests to derive a few additional ancillary indices (QRI, NVI, etc.) it adds another 15-20 minutes or so. If you also give the phonological processing subtests, an NT student will be looking at easily 1.5 hours or more. Young high-cognitive students typically answer many more questions than expected, which is what makes the test run even longer.

Standardized conditions are a single session, perhaps with brief breaks as needed, so if there is no obvious reason that continuing would compromise performance, one usually is not expected to break up testing just because.

I usually give them permission to ask for breaks in my introductory remarks, and check in if it's been longer than an hour since the last break, or if they look like they are beginning to fatigue or lose focus. Some children really enjoy the activities, and find it rather energizing to test. If she was still happy and alert throughout testing, I would not be too concerned about score validity.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Merlin #240229 10/25/17 05:41 PM
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    So I just got back results of my dd7’s Wisc V testing. She scored 2 standard deviations below my DS9 Wisc IV score. She is pretty smart but definitely not as far to the right as my son. However, we were quite shocked she scored so low comparatived to her sibling. Is this common? I thought researched showed that siblings score normally with 10 points of each other. She was still above average or mildly gifted range but not even close to her DYS brother. And she has no learning issues or behavioral problems. She’s a happy normal go lucky kid. My son is the one with 2e issues.

Merlin #240230 10/25/17 06:26 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    While siblings usually score within 10 points of each other, this is not always the case, especially when one of them is as extreme as your first child is. For example, in my sibling group, most are within 10 points of each other, but one is about 3 SDs above the rest. If only two siblings had been born (including the outlier), it would have looked even more divergent than your children's scores. It's only because there are more than two that it becomes apparent that one is an outlier. And let's not forget that your DD is still very bright, in the moderately gifted range.

Another possible angle is, were there any differences among the index or subtest scores that might make the global measure less complete?

And finally, scores in general are slightly lower on the WISC-V than on the -IV, mainly for norm obsolescence reasons. Your older child took the WISC-IV very late in its norm life, while your younger child took it fairly early in the -V's norm life, which would account for at least 4-5 (or even more, in this standard score range) points difference. 10 points drop in the GT population is pretty normal, moving from the -IV to the -V, according to the publisher's research.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Merlin #240232 10/25/17 08:33 PM
    M
    Merlin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Many of the DYS families I have met all their children are PG. At the Davidson summit I feel like I see many siblings that are all part of the program. And of those families I have spoken with, they do say their kids scores within 5-10 points from each other. Maybe at the summit it is a self selecting group, as it is easier to bring the whole group of PG kids rather than just bring one and leave other kids at home?
    In either case, we plan on having the Wisc-V administered for my son. Then we can really see if the results change due to difference in Wisc editions. When he took the Wisc-iv his ADHD was still affecting him greatly. Now, it seems medication changes and doses are at an ideal therapeutic level finally.

Merlin #240233 10/25/17 08:52 PM
    E
    E
    At the Summit, it does feel like all of the Davidson families have all their kids in the program. But there are quite a few of us who are there with one kid, and have another who stays home.

Merlin #240235 10/25/17 11:07 PM
    P
    P
    Mine tested a SD apart. I have had 2 kids do the WJIII plus the most recent WIPSI (just as part of the morming panel) and the shortest was just under 2 hours with the longest being at least 2.5 (with my then 4 year old).

Merlin #240237 10/26/17 04:26 AM
    P
    P
    My two are (at least) a couple of SDs apart - and that testing result has always seemed pretty consistent with reality as we know it. DS has been an notable outlier (in pretty much every conceivable way) from quite literally the day he was born. Not until DD came along did I finally get to figure out what all those parents and baby books had been yammering on about all this time smile

Merlin #240246 10/26/17 10:57 AM
    A
    A
    My two DS's are almost two SDs apart. I took DS8 to the Summit and DS10 stayed home with DH and they did something special that weekend too. They both took the WISC-V, only a couple of weeks apart. We think the test results are pretty consistent with what we see. DS10 is bright but DS8 was definitely the outlier.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM