Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Dude #240322 11/01/17 04:34 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dude
    A hat tip to the Texas Board of Education and its consistent push to whitewash American education is necessary here. When you're presenting bios of mathematicians, you're teaching history, and there are some pretty alarming trends in how history is being taught: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/5-reasons-the-new-texas-social-studies-textbooks-are-nuts-7573825

The OP article is terrible and stupid, but it didn't emerge in a vacuum. It's a reaction to something very real, that has been going on for a very long time, that is terrible and stupid.

The real solution here is to identify that the Texas Board of Education is unqualified to make decisions, override them with national curriculum standards that are more firmly grounded in reality, and bring a more comprehensive approach to math history that acknowledges the outstanding contributions of the many cultures involved.

Funnily enough, we already have national math standards, so it should be pretty easy to pull off in this specific case. All we have to do is follow the process already in place to amend the standards.

Agreed. The article is pretty terrible and stupid; and after reading the professor's book chapter, I'm of many minds about her eduspeak-laced work -- but my main takeaway is that the underlying premise is sound. There *is* a problem, and whether or not this is the way to address it, it needs addressed.

I've volunteered for five years now teaching math to elementary kids, many of whom already suffer, by second or third grade, under the perception that they're no good at math, or that people like them can't be good at math. Some because they're girls, some because they're from families that struggled in math or whose language and cultural background doesn't make typical word problems and other presentations intuitive. And I've seen that these perceptions get reinforced in so many ways by their parents and their teachers, even by me if I'm not careful.

Given that the professor in question is apparently speaking to math as taught in a dedicated math class -- eg. middle school or higher -- I've no doubt that these biases are deep seated in the students before they get to that level, and therefore require dedicated effort to displace.

sunnyday #240344 11/03/17 06:38 PM
    F
    F
    Just the fact that she is lumping all minorities together despite the actual exceptional performance of Asian American students is suspect.
    Funnily enough, I've noticed that schools -- particularly application-hungry universities -- will count Asian Americans as minorities when calculating the diversity of the student body (especially in promotional materials) but not when the term "minority" is attached to any sort of admissions or financial aid benefit. Hmmm. wink

Joking aside, however, I agree with Dude and sunnyday that there IS an actual issue at hand here. Quote:
    Further, she also worries that evaluations of math skills can perpetuate discrimination against minorities, especially if they do worse than their white counterparts. “If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned.”
    If you don't want students to be negatively judged, then a) actually teach them math, so that there is no gap; and b) make sure the assessment of these skills accurately matches their true mathematical ability. Both these issues involve bias and inequality in our society and schools.
    However, it seems to me like this professor is really just making it worse...it almost feels like she's expecting people to be bad at math and accepting it, not challenging them to achieve more.
    Just my 2˘.

FruityDragons #240345 11/03/17 06:50 PM
    Originally Posted by FruityDragons
    However, it seems to me like this professor is really just making it worse...it almost feels like she's expecting people to be bad at math and accepting it, not challenging them to achieve more. Just my 2˘.

I think it's called fighting stupid with stupid.

It generally results in an overall increase in stupid.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM