Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    madeinuk #240250 10/26/17 12:30 PM
    Some antics. The crusaders rampaged a lot of places filled with strangers between Constantinople and Jerusalem, many of which the Turks rampaged in turn. There's plenty of overlap.

Dude #240251 10/26/17 01:03 PM
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Some antics. The crusaders rampaged a lot of places filled with strangers between Constantinople and Jerusalem, many of which the Turks rampaged in turn. There's plenty of overlap.

Which is why we need dates here.

Otherwise, everything overlaps everything else and we all get confused as to who is the rampager and who is the rampagee.

You can't play Crusaders and Saracens without dates. That's like playing Cowboys and Indians without guns.

madeinuk #240252 10/26/17 01:28 PM
    Val Offline

As people here know, I love a good education debate. Yet with this one...

With Thomas Percy having made one of the two major rebuttals to this education person, there isn't much left to say, except, please pour some water on the burning stupid.

Val #240253 10/26/17 01:44 PM
    Originally Posted by Val

As people here know, I love a good education debate. Yet with this one...

With Thomas Percy having made one of the two major rebuttals to this education person, there isn't much left to say, except, please pour some water on the burning stupid.

She taught me that math is racist.

Armed with this new knowledge, I can now help to transform society in the right direction for the greater good.

It will be a long war, but we will ultimately triumph over mathematics.

Val #240254 10/26/17 01:53 PM
    Val Offline
    [rant]

Actually, I will add something. Her CV boasts three degrees, but none of them could be described as STEM-y. From her CV:

• Rochelle Gutiérrez
    • PhD, Education (Curriculum and Instruction)
    • M.A., Social Sciences Dissertation title-- Beyond Tracking: How the Beliefs, Practices, and Cultures of High School Mathematics Departments Influence Student Advancement
    • STANFORD UNIVERSITY B.A., Human Biology

Don't be fooled by that Human Biology degree kids! I dug into it a bit and it's NOT the same as a degree in regular biology at Stanford. The human biology department has its own genetics course, for example. Students can even take a statistic class designed for education majors!

That B.A. (instead of a B.S.) means that she opted for a "traditional liberal arts degree with a curriculum based across the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities."

This is going OT, but seriously, when ignorant types like this woman are taken seriously at major universities (she's a professor at like the University of Illinois) and when Silicon Valley types tell us that don't need to learn stuff because we can just do a web search, I swear that there's movement going to turn us into those grotesque lawnchair denizens from Wall E. Someday, we'll spend our days consuming tera-jumbo Slurpees and watching videos.

And worst of all, the people leading the movement don't even know they're doing that.

[/rant] Back to work.

Val #240255 10/26/17 02:03 PM
    Originally Posted by Val
    This is going OT, but seriously, when ignorant types like this woman are taken seriously at major universities (she's a professor at like the University of Illinois) and when Silicon Valley types tell us that don't need to learn stuff because we can just do a web search, I swear that there's movement going to turn us into those grotesque lawnchair denizens from Wall E. Someday, we'll spend our days consuming tera-jumbo Slurpees and watching videos.

And worst of all, the people leading the movement don't even know they're doing that.

Don't worry.

There's a standard-issue feedback loop that fixes this problem.

Eventually, we run out of spare energy/educated population capacity to actually extend the stupid any further, or even sustain the stupid at a steady state.

Granted, this results in a severe catastrophic negative outcome for everyone depending on the continuation of the stupid.

But, it definitely solves the problem.

Val #240256 10/26/17 02:09 PM
    Originally Posted by Val
    I swear that there's movement going to turn us into those grotesque lawnchair denizens from Wall E. Someday, we'll spend our days consuming tera-jumbo Slurpees and watching videos.

That is the lifestyle that they lead for themselves today, so I'm not sure they understand that it might even be a problem.

madeinuk #240257 10/26/17 02:17 PM
    A
    A
    I did not read the entire thread, but, when people run out of material for writing books, they then, try to make math about race, it seems. She does not know what the Hindu-Arabic numeral system is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu–Arabic_numeral_system

It is quite possible to be deeply ignorant if one is never taught about it in the textbooks that the elementary schools she went to used. It is also possible to be so ignorant if one is completely lacking in curiosity to do a simple Wiki lookup of what the origin of the number system she uses is. Certainly, no "whiteness" in its origin that I know of.

ashley #240258 10/26/17 02:26 PM
    Originally Posted by ashley
    I did not read the entire thread, but, when people run out of material for writing books, they then, try to make math about race, it seems. She does not know what the Hindu-Arabic numeral system is.

It is quite possible to be deeply ignorant if one is never taught about it in the textbooks that the elementary schools she went to used. It is also possible to be so ignorant if one is completely lacking in curiosity to do a simple Wiki lookup of what the origin of the number system she uses is. Certainly, no "whiteness" in its origin that I know of.

You do not seem to understand that mathematics is inherently racist.

Read the article referenced at the beginning of this thread again.

It clearly explains the racist nature of mathematics as well as why we need to engage in total war against mathematics itself.

We must win this war.

JonLaw #240259 10/26/17 02:56 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by ashley

You do not seem to understand that mathematics is inherently racist.

Read the article referenced at the beginning of this thread again.

It clearly explains the racist nature of mathematics as well as why we need to engage in total war against mathematics itself.

We must win this war.

Ok, I understand. I love math, but since it is inherently racist, I will wage war against all known forms of mathematics cry

/off to cook dinner without using that racist math in my recipes

PS: Someone should let this professor know that it is OK to be not good at math. It takes all kinds to make the world, whatever floats your boat etc etc.
    PS2: It is completely OK to take a stand against math based on the skin color of its origin and you may become a Professor one day who tells other teachers how to teach math.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM