Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #240139 10/17/17 08:28 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DS7 recently participated in a school musical that contained a song about ladybugs with the following lyrics:

If someone treats you rough
    And life is kind of tough
    You think you’ve had enough but be a lady

If someone isn’t kind
    And friends are hard to find
    You just say never mind and be a lady

If someone isn’t nice
    Their heart’s as cold as ice
    Well just take my advice and be a lady

When someone hurts your pride
    You’d like to run and hide
    You just keep dignified and be a lady

When all you see are dots
    Complexion’s full of spots
    Remember all you’ve got and be a lady

When all your friends have fled
    And all you see is red
    Just keep a level head and be a lady

I find these lyrics problematic in any climate but on the heels of the Harvey Weinstein scandal they seem particularly inappropriate. Is this what we want to teach our young people? To remain silent and "dignified" in the face of injustice?

I am struggling with how to address this, as I am gearing up to advocate for a partial homeschool scenario for my PG son. Should I let it go and focus on advocacy?

A
    A
    Define "lady" how you wish. For me, a lady radiates strength, self-assurance, wisdom. In that light, I interpret the lyrics as an acknowledgement that external circumstances don't define the woman, the woman defines her circumstances. The world can crumble around her, and she's still a rock thanks to her character and innate value.

ETA: As someone who shares your overarching view, it might be worth a conversation with the school. How is the school interpreting the lyrics?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I can see two things that can be done here which do not put you directly in the firing line, and should therefore be actions you can take which would not necessarily interfere with your advocacy for DS:

1) Use it as a teachable moment to DS. In age-and-maturity-appropriate terms, explain what the lyrics mean to you, and why you feel them to be problematic.

2) Reach out to other parents and ask them if they're okay with this. With any luck, someone else will reach the appropriate level of outrage, rally the troops, and lead the fight. This really should be a multi-parent effort anyway. They shouldn't be hearing it from just one.

And if you get the general sense that nobody wants to do anything about it, that tells you something about the community culture, likely to be shared by the school staff, and you'd be unlikely to have any success advocating against this. In that case, you'd be smart to choose the battle that is most important to you: DS.

C
    C
    I agree with your concern, but given you have another situation on hand that is, frankly, far more pressing, I would not fight this one now.

Dude has a good approach. Use it as a learning opportunity for your child and if there are other parents with whom you are friendly, bring it up.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM