Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi folks.

I've known this kid was special, but he just turned three today and, after he read me his entire birthday card spontaneously, I happened to see a milestone page online that declared that most kids don't count backwards from 20 until age six... and this one has been counting backwards from 100 (and forwards) since he was about 22 months. Thought maybe I'd come here.

My main question for you is this - what do I need to watch out for now, given this kid in particular? I'm afraid of school, especially with the october birthday.

How can I get a head start on making sure school works for him?

Let me make an abbreviated list:

His specialty is numbers and letters
    - 18m-22m upper case alphabet, then lower case, counting up to 100, and backwards with the microwave's help
    - 22-24m - could read up to 60 serious sight words - xylophone, electricity, cooperate, etc. Forced me to teach him to write by screaming until i traced shit endlessly with him.
    - 24-2.5years - all numbers all the time, can read cat in the hat level books. Can write by himself, and does. Everywhere.
    -3years - can read above cat and the hat. TBH, he's able to do a lot of reading that i can't track. Memorized the greek alphabet two months ago.

He's got
    - extraordinary memory - my mom died when he was 2, and he remembered her for at least 7 months even though he'd only met her a handful of times. Remembers places we went a year ago.
    - humor - thinks wordplay (don't sit, spit!) is hilarious
    - focused like a bastard, but can be drawn away by people.
    - sat stock still through a 45 minute classical music concert yesterday, entirely rapt.
    - Loves complicated music
    - shocks the shit out of me regularly.

Pretty normal other stuff
    - Still won't use the potty (he's nervous, my fault, I think)
    - pretty cautious guy on playgrounds, but gets familiar and is ok
    - cant get him to spit or blow his nose. He knows what he's supposed to do, but won't.

His environment
    - in day care, loves it
    - LOVES other kids
    - In general, social skills are getting better.
    - He mimics the kids instead of doing letters all the time - he stopped writing letters at school, and now just scribbles. He talks more nonsense now and does pretend play... which he never did before. I think it's a good thing. I like to think he's adapting and fitting in.

Thought he might have autism there for a while, but no longer think so. I think it was just his introverted, brainiac parents being a bad influence!

C
    C
    Teach him a second language?

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Encourage lots of physical play. Monkey bars, balance beams, swings, playground games, running, catching and jumping are valuable.

T
    T
    He is 3. He can start Suzuki violin now. Or a low key group piano lesson that teaches reading music and music theory.

A
    A
    Teach him fundamentals of arithmetic in a fun way: one thing I did was to tell stories like - there were 5 monkeys playing on a tree, one ran away, how many monkeys were playing together after that? Teach him skip counting, which is the basis of multiplication - again in a fun way - using either manipulatives or stories. I also taught my son small poems to memorize (he had a very strong memory and loved to use it). I enrolled him in a group music class at 3 and a group piano music lesson at age 4. I agree with Thomas Percy - if your son is ready for private lessons, enroll him in Suzuki Violin by all means.
    I remember that we also did group gymnastics and toddler soccer at that age. In daycare, he self advocated to go and spend part of his day with the older kids who were in TK at that time - I think that being with older kids stimulated him a lot.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM