Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    shifrbv Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    In the past students enrolled in Advanced Math classes (scoring 98-99% on Math MAP) were also enrolled in Advanced Science.

Last year DD took Advanced Science for 5th where students worked out of the 6th grade book and were tested on 6th grade curriculum. She did well and we were pleased with how the year turned out.

Continuing on this course, DD would eventually be allowed to take Biology in 8th grade. The program had been in place for years.

Somehow during the past spring, middle school principals advised the school board to eliminate this program (supposedly due to new state science standards which don't look all that dissimilar from previous standards and are in some cases lower than before). The board vote was split with one board member bullying others to tow the line of the administrators and place full faith in their recommendations and the measure passed 4-3.

Some consideration was given to maybe allow "some" students the ability to be bussed to the high school on their own time to take biology but they would need to give up other electives to accomplish this and only first thing in the morning. Maybe.... Nothing was really worked out and parents were not told exactly how this would happen or even how one could qualify.

Because of the way this was done, many parents were not aware of the change.

This fall when those formerly "Advanced" students returned, they were placed in "Enriched" 6th grade science and issued the same textbooks as last year.

So far, the class is teaching the exact same 6th grade topics as last year except there are no formal assessments (no tests or quizzes) - the teacher doesn't utilize the textbook because the students used it before, only projects like doing Nearpods, a powerpoint presentation on the solar eclipse, firing off an outdoor rocket. Many of these items are similar to elementary level work.

I'm really disappointed about this. The advanced science is now gone and it looks like DD is going to waste the school year learning nothing in her science class.

What would you do? I've personally never seen a situation so egregiously handled as to issue even the same textbook (an expensive one that parents had to pay for twice) and with no real program in place. DD complains the teacher is not teaching at all. As for myself, I see no evidence of learning anything in the class that wasn't already covered last year.

Last edited by shifrbv; 10/03/17 05:40 AM.
    C
    C
    That is what I would do...pull her from class.

I'm not sure I would stop at pulling her from class. Are inter-district transfers an option? Online school? Homeschool?

A strongly worded letter-to-the-editor or an appearance at the next school board meeting would also be called for, depending on your preferences.

Sometimes I wonder what these people think school is FOR...

A
    A
    Pull her out of the science class. Push for the high school science option even if it means that your family is inconvenienced. If that does not work out, ask the school to offer her an elective in the timeslots of the current science class. There is nothing more boring than repeating the same curriculum 2 years in a row. She should not be punished for something that is not in her control.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Sometimes I wonder what these people think school is FOR...

Childcare.

P
    P
    Can you pull her out of science class? Here you couldn't because it is all taught by the same teacher and there is no such thing as 6th grade science. If it is possible maybe there is an on line option she could do.

Q
    Q
    You can go to the school board with other disgruntled parents but I don't think you would get any resolution in time for this year, which means there won't be a basis for biology in 8th. I think that is what they are trying to accomplish. If my kids were dying for harder science, I would just provide it outside of school rather than wasting time and energy fighting the school. Let her use science class to do homework and socialize.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 10/12/17 10:13 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM