Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    ann55 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I am a bit overwhelmed by the online options (paid or unpaid) and I don't know where to start. I've gone through the "Recommended Resources" but even some of those threads cause me to be overwhelmed by the number of choices.

To give some background, my DD5 is in a private Montessori kindergarten class where most of the children are 3/4 years old, some turning 5 this year. I had previously posted how they rejected our request to move her to the elementary (6-9) class because she was not familiar with the traditional Montessori math tools. However, the teacher recently has been taking all of the elementary language arts resources for her to work on. It's hard to get a read on what the teachers think of her - they are so fixated on her not knowing the Montessori tools and when i offer to show them what she does at home, they show no interest or are dismissive.

She loves geography, astronomy, geology, and reading. She has been reading to learn for at least a year. Her spelling and printing is pretty good (and neat) and she has picked up handwriting this past month.

I've been giving her random worksheets (upon her request) I find online but I feel like i need to organize myself better. I don't really know what her level is appropriate either.

Any feedback on the Michael Clay Thompson books? Is it better to just get the Teacher's Manual or should I be getting both the student and teacher book? Any other online sources (fee/free) that your kids have loved? I'm mainly looking for resources to build on her advanced language arts skills or science/geography.

Thank you!

A
    ann55 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Those are amazing ideas. Thank you, thank you!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM