Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    jckdw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    He only picks it up from time to time now but that was like his Thing in Kindergarten. At 5, he would only draw stick figures for people (he still does!) but would draw these beautiful origami instructions in pen.

That's one of the (many) nice things about gifted school. Lots of fellow origami enthusiasts!

A
    A

J
    jckdw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Cool! I haven't seen most of those.

J
    jckdw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Update on my little math guy (9). The past few months, his teacher has let him do whatever he wants for homework, with the result that he is now learning calculus (through Khan Academy and a Life of Fred book from the library). I gave him an Alg 2 end of course exam I found on the internet when I realized he was actually serious about trying to learn calculus, and he aced it easily. He likes calculus and finds it pretty intuitive.

He'll go for months without pursuing one of his academic-ish interests (programming, music theory and composition, and math), and then he'll really concentrate on one of them for a few weeks and be very productive. Some periods of time, he'll just play and be into Minecraft or making boardgames or writing his newsletter or something. In fact, I would say most of the time he's not pursuing anything academic (although if someone put a new math book or something in his hands, he would eagerly read it). I think the only reason he made progress in math was that there was some (very loose) structure to it (he had to do 20 minutes of anything math-related 4 days a week for homework). He's very happy this year and has a couple of really good friends. I never push him to do one thing or another (except the bare minimum of instrument practice and helping out around the house).

Anyway, I guess the current system is working for him. I have the feeling he wouldn't like a more formal course because it wouldn't be self-directed enough.

I still worry about the future though. He is really a pretty typical kid except for being good at math and having weird interests some of the time. For those with older kids, how did things go in middle school and high school? Has anyone tried NOT formally educating an advanced math kid? Or, if you did radically advance your kid in just one subject, did they still have a normal middle school/high school experience? Is there anything you would recommend or do differently? I also worry that the reason he's happy now is that he has time to do what he wants, and he'll be considerably less happy when he starts getting actual significant amounts of homework in middle school. He has never liked having to do what other people want him to do! (like most kids!)

A
    A
    For game theory, he might like Eric Rasmusen’s "Games and Information: An Introduction to Game Theory".

If he's a game theory head, he might like causal modelling and decision theory. Any sense of interest in this area?

He sounds delightful!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    J
    jckdw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh yeah, he actually loves game theory! And he also really enjoyed The Cartoon Guide to Economics, which, from what he told me, was kind of similar.

I'll check out that book! I don't know what causal modeling and decision theory are, but they sound like things he would like. smile

(He also likes graphic design and typography. He is a fun dude. Haha, right now he is explaining to me something about rolling up the "Turtle Unicorn" poster he just made--something about Gaussian curvature. ?? )

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM