Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I think that high schools do play a lot of grade 4 music, at least according to some of the publishers. DS/DD probably did mostly grade 2 and grade 3 music in middle school although I do remember at least one grade 4 piece for honor orchestra (club) from 6th grade.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That was what I observed in DS/DD's middle school. It seems that the talent pool varies from year to year so that some years there may be more difficult music than others. At other times, the director simply told certain students to refrain from playing a piece or certain sections from a piece.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Our high school has three levels of band and two levels of orchestra although there is more overlap of parts of the ranges.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That makes sense. Publishers generally uses grades 1 through 6. If I am remembering correctly, one publisher lists grade 5 as advanced high schools, small colleges and all universities and grade 6 as top high schools and large universities.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    In prior years, freshmen were not allowed into the top band/orchestra. I am not sure how a decent community orchestra would compare to high school or college . . . Would they be better or worse?

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Grade 5 is very advanced for middle school, especially since this is only his 3rd year!

Let me amend that I asked the band director what level music I should be buying for My DS for individual work (solo and ensemble adjudication as well as for fun) 4 and 5 was for him alone. I bet his band is 3.and a few 4 pieces for challenge.

I bet when he auditions for high school he won't be in the lowest group. He is probably a bit ahead of some of the other but as a whole their school is advanced. It is by audition (although you don't have to be playing in 5th grade) and they have a 20% population of gifted kids (which is high for here).

M
    M
    I think the highest level orchestra unofficially reserves the CM and associate CM chairs for seniors and juniors but all other spots are assigned based on audition held twice a year. Given how much traveling they do, I think it is a bit cruel to demote older players to a lower level orchestra when accomplished freshmen enter the scene but that is how they do it.

I don't think they are anywhere close to a good college orchestra that is only open to music majors.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    It is still advanced for a 3rd year student for solo & ensemble purposes. Of course, it is less unusual than for a whole middle school band/orchestra to tackle level 5.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    It seems a bit cruel but it is probably meant to keep those upperclassmen on their toes. I think sometimes students back-slide after freshmen year.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    It is still advanced for a 3rd year student for solo & ensemble purposes. Of course, it is less unusual than for a whole middle school band/orchestra to tackle level 5.

I think it is because they are on block schedule. Four classes A/B alternating days. The 6th grade band has band for a two period block every day. They have adjunct professors who come and work with entire sections as well as private lessons. I think they accomplish a ton that first year.

Then in seventh and eighth grade you have a block of band one day alternating with a block of either jazz band or a block of symphony orchestra. My son is in the symphony orchestra.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM