Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #239743 09/19/17 01:57 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Getting my DS8 tested in a couple weeks. In meeting with the neuropsych she said she was leaning towards the DAS-II rather than the WISC V. SHe said for kids with low frustration tolerance (Definitely my kid) the DAS-II was the preferred choice.
    I am not so sure.
    His older brother was tested on both the DAS-II and WISC V over a few years. The WISC V gave us a much clearer picture. Gifted with ADHD.
    My reasons for having my DS8 tested emanate from social/emotional issues we are seeing - intensity, sensitivity, perfectionism, explosiveness - so we are doing a full battery of tests to understand him better both cognitively and emotionally.
    So, is the DAS-II the wrong choice? Does it matter? I feel better with the WISC V but not sure why.

P
    P
    My ds8 has an extremely low frustration tolerance but managed to get through the WPPSI (for the norming panel) and WJiii for actual testing. Both took 2 to 2.5 hours.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    So the DAS-II has a shorter core battery (median administration time 39 minutes--obviously likely to be longer for a high cognitive learner), but in order to obtain the equivalent information as on the WISC, you would need to take on about 20 minutes of testing, bringing the total expected time to 60 minutes, which is nearly identical to the expected testing time for the WISC-V, for all five primary indices. (Apples to apples.) If you do only the FSIQ (which also generates 2 primary indices) of the WISC-V, you can drop the administration time down to the same as the DAS-II core battery.

IOW, they take approximately the same amount of time.

Another aspect of frustration tolerance is the discontinue rules. I will say that the decision rules for the DAS-II may be slightly less frustrating for some children, but I think the WISC-V is a substantial improvement over the -IV in this regard.

It may be that you feel better with the WISC because you are familiar with the results obtained with your other child. It does have the genuine advantage that its norms are newer.

My experience with examinees with low frustration tolerance is that the effect of said frustration is more closely related to the examiner's ability to manage it than to the test itself--pace of administration, skill at providing positive feedback on effort, but neutral feedback on performance, rapport, etc. From that perspective, the instrument that this specific examiner finds better for kids with low frustration tolerance probably should be given some serious consideration, as that suggests that it is the instrument for which -she- is more successful at managing frustration. Though I find that high cognitive learners often are less frustrated than one might expect, because they enjoy the stimulation.

I think it is likely that you will obtain valid results from either test.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM