Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 174 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Our DS 11, also 6th grade does exactly the same thing. In bed by 9:15, but stays awake about an hour, sometimes more. I've been debating letting him stay up later. I even started reading to them before bed like in the old days to see if that would help soothe him. It doesn't seem to make a difference, but they like it, so for now, we're doing it.

He wakes up at 6:30 for school and proably about 1/2 to one hour later on weekends. He rarely seems tired during the day.

I suspect he's just thinking. I remember doing that as a kid, and as an adult before I had kids and became a person who's exhausted all the time.

Thank you for sharing your story. It makes me feel better about our son. Hopefully my post does the same for you.

C
    C
    My own personal experience as a HG youth - I stayed up and watched Honeymooners reruns at 11pm every night from about age 8-11, until I got a morning paper route that had me our delivering at 6:30, when I turned 12. That was just my personal sleep need, and it worked out fine.

My current DYS DD13 is in bed at 9:30, but usually still awake when I go up at 10-10:30, and she gets up at 5:45. Her older sister seems to sleep all the time. Just different physiologies. Unless there's some indication of a problem, I see no need to resort to meds. It's actually a bit worrisome that a doctor prescribed them if there was really no physical symptoms to address.

Last edited by Cranberry; 09/13/17 08:20 PM.
    T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT SO FAR!!!

Last night we went to a local WM and was looking at all the various options as far as melatonin. While we were standing there looking my son sees a 'Calming Sleep' essential oil and gets pretty excited.

We have an oil diffuser at home we used to use with peppermint oil to try and help my wife's headaches.

I figured for $5.76 it was worth a try. My thinking when I purchased it was whether the oil in the diffuser actually works or not, him thinking that it would help might just do the trick.

Last night we watched a movie with the diffuser blowing out the smell and white "smoke" of the 'Calming Sleep' oil. My wife and I didn't care for the smell of it very much but he seemed to like it.

After the movie he went to bed around 9:15 and had no trouble falling a asleep at all. Now whether it was the movie, or the staying up 15 minutes later, or the Calming Sleep oil, or the fact that he seemed pretty tired from PE from the day before, who knows...hopefully we can narrow down which of them help over the next couple of days.

We didn't let him go to sleep with the oil diffuser working last night, telling him we had to figure out how much water to put in it to get it to last a certain amount of time. It looks like 1/4 full=1 hour, 1/2 full = 2 hours, etc. and it automatically cuts off. Haven't decided whether to put it in his room and let him go to sleep with it going or not (it's very cool with a nice glow of colors that change ever so often).

Again, thanks for all the help so far!!!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 09/14/17 07:08 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM